Jump to content

Skyranger 30 on Boxer


BagelIsMyWaifu
 Share

Rheinmetall Skyranger 30 on Boxer  

124 members have voted

  1. 1. Should the Skyranger 30 be added to War Thunder?

    • Yes
      124
    • No
      0
  2. 2. At what BR should the Skyranger be added?

    • 10.0
      45
    • 10.3
      31
    • 10.7
      31
    • 11.0
      13
    • Other, please specify in the comments
      4
    • Already voted no
      0


  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Godvana said:

Now that the FlakRakPz 1 has been moved to 10.3, This would be a nice addition to 10.0.

Ehhh I'd say its more of a 10.3-10.7 if not 11.0 vehicle with all of the features it has, between ABM, Star Streaks, AESA radar and 3rd Gen thermals 

medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Lord_Prism said:

Эххх, я бы сказал, что это скорее машина 10.3-10.7, если не 11.0, со всеми ее функциями, между ПРО, звездными полосами, радаром AESA и термиками 3-го поколения

Well, yea you right and i hope this thing will be with Leopard 2a7Vesebert or EMBT(2022 version)

 

medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Lord_Prism said:

Ehhh I'd say its more of a 10.3-10.7 if not 11.0 vehicle with all of the features it has, between ABM, Star Streaks, AESA radar and 3rd Gen thermals 

Its a bit of a weird vehicle in that regard, the sensors are absolutely amazing (expecially the AESA radar that basically eliminates all attempts of space climbing) but the armament is average at best. Starstreak are in their perpetual state of being more broken than before, the alternative is Stinger which cant even hit enemies past the main gun range and AHEAD I have honestly no idea how it would work with tracking. Probably not too well considering Gajin doesnt model the shrapnell at this moment ...

medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BagelIsMyWaifu said:

Its a bit of a weird vehicle in that regard, the sensors are absolutely amazing (expecially the AESA radar that basically eliminates all attempts of space climbing) but the armament is average at best. Starstreak are in their perpetual state of being more broken than before, the alternative is Stinger which cant even hit enemies past the main gun range and AHEAD I have honestly no idea how it would work with tracking. Probably not too well considering Gajin doesnt model the shrapnell at this moment ...

Id hope they just make AHEAD into a proxy for the Skyranger, but it would at least be better with target tracking (hopefully), and yeah between starstreaks and stingers I'd rather have the Starstreaks, though IIRC the original missile was supposed to be the LFK no?

medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Lord_Prism said:

though IIRC the original missile was supposed to be the LFK no?

LFK afaik was cancelled years ago. Had I seen the slightest clue that LFK was intended, I would have noted so in the suggestion.

But this question made me search a bit, and I have found that Rheinmetall was working on new ground to air missiles, in cooperation with Denel, developing the Cheetah, which has also been discontinued, somewhen around 2020.

But in 2021 Rheinmetall, this time in cooperation with Halcon announced yet another missile, the Skyknight. Maximum range is somewhere around 10km, but I cannot find anything on the guidance. Based on the appearance of the nose cone, I assume its either beam riding, command link guided or ARH, but couldnt find anything substantial yet. SARH falls flat considering the Skyranger 30 doesnt have a tracking radar

grafik.png.10a38c89373f90fc6f07e688789dc

The interesting part is the last bit of this article https://www.edrmagazine.eu/halcon-and-rheinmetall-air-defence-team-up-for-the-skynex

grafik.png.26df54ae3a8434d2dec6f3214caf9

With that missile it could definitively go higher in BR than with Starstreak

 

 

Edit:

Just found these specifications

Spoiler

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/485523264437747722/1027202830420951040/unknown.png

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/485523264437747722/1027202916509036584/unknown.png

Still nothing on exact guidance type, but beam riding falls flat with 80 missiles in flight. I would actually assume its SARH using the AESA radar. (The Skyranger 30 has the same AMMR)

Edited by BagelIsMyWaifu
medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BagelIsMyWaifu said:
Reveal hidden contents

Still nothing on exact guidance type, but beam riding falls flat with 80 missiles in flight. I would actually assume its SARH using the AESA radar. (The Skyranger 30 has the same AMMR)

 

The Skyranger 30 seems to use the same radar sensor that the Skynex Air Defence System uses for the SkyKnight. (Sensors and panels seem near identical, i would assume the MSU ones are higher powered ones though).

Quote

the Skyranger 30 is the brand-new S-band AESA Multi-Mission Radar (AMMR) under development by Rheinmetall Italia, five flat antennas being integrated around the turret to provide full 360° coverage,”

 

It also mentions:

Quote

for cost effectiveness, the system will only attack targets with a pre-calculated point of impact within the protected area.

So this would make it pretty clear that the missile itself has no targeting ability.

Now its just unclear if the pre-calculated point is calculated before the launcher or mid flight.

I would assume the later. Thus SARH as the missile otherwise would have no idea where it / the target point is.

medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, BagelIsMyWaifu said:

LFK afaik was cancelled years ago.

Sad to hear, though a IRIS-T SLS might be an option as well given the proliferation of the ground launched version in recent times. 

 

8 hours ago, BagelIsMyWaifu said:

Still nothing on exact guidance type, but beam riding falls flat with 80 missiles in flight. I would actually assume its SARH using the AESA radar. (The Skyranger 30 has the same AMMR)

SARH sounds about right with AESA panels 

medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, cortbowan@psn said:

Fantastic suggestion for a fantastic vehicle. 

 

For all I care, make it even the first premium SPAA to give us something to deal with drones effectively. 

 

+1

Id rather the 35mm be the premium, leave the better version for the TT

medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

I'd say it should be 9.7 or 10.0 to balance out the 9.0-10.0 AA vehicles. why do i say that? because ussr has not 1, not 2, but 3 AA vehicles disguised as 1 light vehicle and 2 SPG. you probably know those three are.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dibsky said:

I'd say it should be 9.7 or 10.0 to balance out the 9.0-10.0 AA vehicles. why do i say that? because ussr has not 1, not 2, but 3 AA vehicles disguised as 1 light vehicle and 2 SPG. you probably know those three are.

Its a weird placement, as said earlier in the thread, the radar and sensors are top notch on this thing. But the armament can't take much advantage from them. I'd say a range from 9.7 to 10.3 would be appropriate

  • Like 1
medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Lord_Prism said:

Its a weird placement, as said earlier in the thread, the radar and sensors are top notch on this thing. But the armament can't take much advantage from them. I'd say a range from 9.7 to 10.3 would be appropriate

I agree, I don't mind it to be placed after FlaRakPz 1 in 10.7 if the missile is fitted with SkyKnight missiles which has 10 km of range (according to wikiped and other sources) BUT the prerequisite is that the guidance system is semi-automatic. it would be a lot less useful if the guidance system is IR. OR, the gun can use an all out or at least partial apfsds or apds round ammunition (like PUMA) unlike gepards which could only use 40 rounds of apds in total. if the ammunition belt can be fitted like the PUMA it can be used as a light tank.

Edited by Dibsky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Dibsky said:

I agree, I don't mind it to be placed after FlaRakPz 1 in 10.7 if the missile is fitted with SkyKnight missiles which has 10 km of range (according to wikiped and other sources) BUT the prerequisite is that the guidance system is semi-automatic. it would be a lot less useful if the guidance system is IR. OR, the gun can use an all out or at least partial apfsds or apds round ammunition (like PUMA) unlike gepards which could only use 40 rounds of apds in total. if the ammunition belt can be fitted like the PUMA it can be used as a light tank.

I have to agree on this, the FlaRakRad would still be the long range heli remover, but the Skyranger with SkyKnight could be a far more mobile and easily hidden compared to the missile bus, and I really hope at least APDS is added if its 10.3  and APFSDS if 10.7

  • Like 1
medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Dibsky said:

I'd say it should be 9.7 or 10.0 to balance out the 9.0-10.0 AA vehicles. why do i say that? because ussr has not 1, not 2, but 3 AA vehicles disguised as 1 light vehicle and 2 SPG. you probably know those three are.

It depends alot of the missile options. With Stinger or Mistral its likely a 10.0, with Starstreak maybe a 10.3 and with SkyKnight somewhere between 10.7 and 11.0 depending how good that missile is. Skyknight is too modern and has far too few information available. IR missiles wouldnt make any sense when the German TT already has Ozelot and Gepard 1A2, so in my opinion Starstreak is currently the best option available.

Another still open question is if any reserve ammunition are carried. Public information on this doesnt exist to my knowledge, so its probably on Gajin. If they only give it the 252 ready rounds and 2 missiles, it will perform poorly, no matter which missile you put on it

  • Like 2
medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, hienapunk said:

Well this clearly isn't too advanced anymore.

Agreed.

 

Sadly Skyknight still appears to have not enough information to be implemented. So currently Starstreak remains the best missile option

Although I did find this article https://www.defensenews.com/digital-show-dailies/idex/2021/02/23/from-lasers-to-missiles-idex-exhibitors-are-determined-to-counter-drones/  that mentions this

"SkyKnight, which was unveiled at IDEX, is a radar-equipped missile" which further implies ARH or SARH guidance. SARH still seems more likely considering the cost of ARH missiles

 

Additionally the details on the search radar changed. In newer publications the spatial coverage is no longer -5° ... 85° but instead -10° ... 80°. Currently collecting more information to update the suggestion itself

medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, BagelIsMyWaifu said:

Agreed.

 

Sadly Skyknight still appears to have not enough information to be implemented. So currently Starstreak remains the best missile option

Although I did find this article https://www.defensenews.com/digital-show-dailies/idex/2021/02/23/from-lasers-to-missiles-idex-exhibitors-are-determined-to-counter-drones/  that mentions this

"SkyKnight, which was unveiled at IDEX, is a radar-equipped missile" which further implies ARH or SARH guidance. SARH still seems more likely considering the cost of ARH missiles

 

Additionally the details on the search radar changed. In newer publications the spatial coverage is no longer -5° ... 85° but instead -10° ... 80°. Currently collecting more information to update the suggestion itself

in the interview(first post on this page) the rheinmetall correspondent said that it does +85°

medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Faster_Boiiiii said:

in the interview(first post on this page) the rheinmetall correspondent said that it does +85°

The original PDF from September 2021 said the same

grafik.png.a8dc9f4187fd3931d3a4cf213017d

But in the updated one from November 2022 it was changed to -10° ... 80°

grafik.png.02f66973449c9e39d424ea480b352

The interview was uploaded in Juni 2022, so I would say it gets superceded by the more recent publication

medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 03/03/2022 at 05:11, Yontzee said:

Is there any information if it’s being adopted by the German Army?

I have said that I will keep my eyes open, and so I did.

According to this (paywalled, german) article there are plans to aquire Skyranger 30 on Boxer, signing the contracts somewhere in 2024 (together with other other European nations to reduce individual prices) and first production deliveries in 2026 at the earliest

https://www.sueddeutsche.de/politik/bundeswehr-flugabwehr-drohnen-skyranger-1.5770122

  • Like 1
medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BagelIsMyWaifu said:

I have said that I will keep my eyes open, and so I did.

According to this (paywalled, german) article there are plans to aquire Skyranger 30 on Boxer, signing the contracts somewhere in 2024 (together with other other European nations to reduce individual prices) and first production deliveries in 2026 at the earliest

https://www.sueddeutsche.de/politik/bundeswehr-flugabwehr-drohnen-skyranger-1.5770122

https://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschland/bundeswehr-will-20-bis-30-skyranger-systeme-kaufen-a-4daf7e95-2093-4333-a66b-9964533fca98

A different article covering the same topic 

medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...