Battlerating Overview updated

Quax0815

I updated the Battlerating Overview for planes in Arcade after the new patch. 

(German thread: http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/87360-battleranks-übersicht/ )

1.69.1.75 (July 11th, 2017)

If you find errors in the PDF, please let me know.

There were just 2 rules for the Matchmaking. Where the BR-Rule is usually the stronger and more important one

Edit: On July 12th 2016 Gaijin finally abandoned the Tier Rule

1. The Tier-Rule

You are never matched against a plane, which is more than 1 Tier higher or lower than your plane (highest plane in your hangars for Arcade). So Tier I can never meet Tier III, and Tier III can never meet Tier V.

http://warthunder.com/en/news/376-Matchmaking-in-137-en

2. The BR-Rule

The MM matches your plane against planes with a BR not higher or lower than 1.0 (since patch 1.39). Remember, the BR figures ingame are rounded, so 2.3 is 2.33 internally and 2.7 is 2.66. The steps are always 1/3 exactly.

The BR of an Arcade-Set is an average of the highest 3 planes, calculated by this formula: http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/125109-battle-rating-for-arcade-matchmaking-explanied-139/

If the formula published by Gaijin sounds too complicated, just look at your 3 highest planes (A,B and C). In order to reduce the BR of your highest plane A, by 0.3 (or 0.4) you have to follow 3 simple rules:

1. The 2nd plane B has to be at least 0.3 BR lower than the BR of the highest plane A
2. The 3rd plane C and all others has to be at least 0.6 BR lower than the BR of the highest plane A
3. Plan B and C should not be more than 1.7 BR lower than plane A

If one of these 3 rules is violated, the Average BR is not reduced and equal to the BR of the highest plane A. The maximum reduction is in any case 0.3 (or 0.4).

This means, that in worst case the MM will match you in Arcade against planes 1.3 or 1.4 higher than your plane, even if the difference of the average-BR of 2 sets is limited to 1.0!

In RB/SB the max difference is 1.0.

WarT Rank 1.65.1.194.pdf

WarT Rank 1.67.1.63.pdf

Edited by Quax0815
  • Upvote 26
medal

Thanks for taking the time to do this, much appreciated.

The Boomerang Mk I & Boomerang Mk II at BR 3.7 is a very sick Gaijin joke and a kick in the nuts to ppl that spent money supporting them.

• Upvote 15
medal medal

Thanks for taking the time to do this, much appreciated.

The Boomerang Mk I & Boomerang Mk II at BR 3.7 is a very sick Gaijin joke and a kick in the nuts to ppl that spent money supporting them.

Yeah, thats one example of an Era II plane, which has now an Era III battlerating. So even if the plane is still Era II, you are matched .33 higher, if you include the Boomerang into your set.

That means, that with the Boomerang you should expect higher Era III planes than usual, but no Era IV, because that would be against the Max-1-Era-Rule of the MM.

Just if this MM is really working according to Gajins published rules, of course.  :Ds

Edited by Quax0815
  • Upvote 4
medal

I'm confused with these changes, or just don't understand them.  I was flying Tier 1 earlier but noticed that almost everything I faced was T2.  The highest BR I had was 2.0 for any of my planes in the hangar and yet I saw a 3.3 Aircobra.  So do tiers not matter anymore and we should simply judge the planes on BR?

Can someone smarter than myself explain this whole thing to me or is there some where I can go read about it in layman's terms?

I'm confused with these changes, or just don't understand them.  I was flying Tier 1 earlier but noticed that almost everything I faced was T2.  The highest BR I had was 2.0 for any of my planes in the hangar and yet I saw a 3.3 Aircobra.  So do tiers not matter anymore and we should simply judge the planes on BR?

Can someone smarter than myself explain this whole thing to me or is there some where I can go read about it in layman's terms?

Tiers don't matter. You will normally see planes within 1.33 BR of your highest rated plane even before skill is taken into account.

• Upvote 1
medal

@SCP

How does skill count, what is the equation they use to judge that? I haven't complained that much about this game but I cannot understand how a SU-2 can be paired with P-39's.  I mean is the pilot of the P-39 so bad that he has to be paired with planes -1.30 BR lower than himself?

• Upvote 2

@SCP

How does skill count, what is the equation they use to judge that? I haven't complained that much about this game but I cannot understand how a SU-2 can be paired with P-39's.  I mean is the pilot of the P-39 so bad that he has to be paired with planes -1.30 BR lower than himself?

No one knows. When they explained the new rating system they just mentioned skill can be taken into account, not how they do so. However, 1.33 is the natural spread without skill factor. Somehow Gaijin thinks that large of a spread is reasonable.

• Upvote 4
medal

@SCP

I appreciate the information mate.  I cannot stop shaking my head right now that this obvious gulf in the BR is considered reasonable, but in my case I am happy to walk away from the game with no hard feelings.

You're not alone. I've been checking out the forums, but actually haven't played in a couple weeks. Even with the improvements in the latest patch I still don't have much desire to play right now.

medal

this whole thing is a disaster, why have tiers if you are going to use the BR? tier I should be tier I, and it should fight tier I, none of this uptier, player based, ephemeral efficiency crap, which is what it is, complete and utter crap. before this update, you could live with 1.37, now it has gone completely nuts, off the rails and full of crap, oh and the BR isn't even fairly assigned, look at the german jets vs sabres etc.

• Upvote 4
medal medal medal medal medal

I'm confused with these changes, or just don't understand them.  I was flying Tier 1 earlier but noticed that almost everything I faced was T2.  The highest BR I had was 2.0 for any of my planes in the hangar and yet I saw a 3.3 Aircobra. 

I've seen BR 4.0 planes when my highest was 2.0.  There's a screen shot somewhere I posted in another thread but can't seem to find it.

Edited by koyaanisquatchi
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

You're not alone. I've been checking out the forums, but actually haven't played in a couple weeks. Even with the improvements in the latest patch I still don't have much desire to play right now.

I am not sure what improvements you found in the new patch.  I guess I continue to be blinded by the new MM system. Tier 2 planes facing tier 4 planes. Tier 1 planes getting smashed by higher level tier 2 planes.. That goes on till your record is dumped down and then you get to work in tier 1 again building up your record. Going tier 2 only magnifies the problems with mismatch. And the new plane tier swap was just a smoking mirror.

• Upvote 1

I'm sure they have their rationale for the changes and good luck to them.  For me however, flying at best a BR 2.0 I don't want to have deal with BR 3.3's or even just 3's to be honest.  If I wanted to play against them I would have added a similar rated plane(s) for the event.  3 matches today was enough for me as I got matched against Beaufighters, Cobras, P40's etc whilst flying an Su-2.  The funny thing is, if I am getting upped in the tiers I would love to learn how these people are getting lowered at the same time.

• Upvote 5

The main rule is, that you may get matched against planes up to 1.33 higher than your highest plane in the Hangar in Arcade.

Additionally there is a malus for playerefficiency. It is not finally clear, if this malus is +0.33 to + 0.66, or +/- 0.33.

So worst case you are matched against planes 1.66 higher or perhaps even 2.0 higher.

The main problem is, that +1.33 is too high. Gajin should lower that range to +0.33 or +0.66 with a bonus/malus of max +/- 0.33 for playerefficiency. Or even better: stop punishing players for beeing good pilots.

Edited by Quax0815
  • Upvote 8
medal

or they could skip all this smoke and mirror crap and just match planes with their own tiers rather than other tiers based on some ephemeral BR logic (which has tier II planes with tier III and IV BRs) combined with an even more shady player skill value. revolutionary idea yes, but it works, unlike the present shitfest they just created (worse than before, which was tolerably messed up)

Edited by Don__Karnage
  • Upvote 5

I am not sure what improvements you found in the new patch.  I guess I continue to be blinded by the new MM system. Tier 2 planes facing tier 4 planes. Tier 1 planes getting smashed by higher level tier 2 planes.. That goes on till your record is dumped down and then you get to work in tier 1 again building up your record. Going tier 2 only magnifies the problems with mismatch. And the new plane tier swap was just a smoking mirror.

RP for Tier 4/5 and some battle rating adjustments. You're right the MM is still crap.

medal

RP for Tier 4/5 and some battle rating adjustments. You're right the MM is still crap.

that RP adjustment is almost meaningless, it helps, but it will still take far longer to get any of those planes than it used to, and forget using golden eagles, they have completely devalued them through the exchange rate for RP conversion and the constant nerfing of the premium planes.

• Upvote 2

I don't care that much about RP. I just want to fly planes and have fun flying planes. But with a MM-Range of 1.33 flying planes in War Thunder is not fun anymore.

Edited by Quax0815
  • Upvote 5
medal

this is exactly why they need to skip the whole BR thing. efficiency is all subjective, and at present they have screwed up ridiculously on so many planes, taking into account single factors of each aircraft such as turn speed, armament or speed without looking at the whole picture, yes the boomerang has two cannons, and yes it can turn well, but it is far too slow for a BR of 3.7 (which is shared by the 109F-2s and F-4s, which are infinitely better despite the fact that they don't turn as good). I would sooner discard the whole BR system and just have each tier isolated from others, if they did that, the game would be far more balanced.

Edited by Don__Karnage
  • Upvote 3

Again the point of the BR being separate from the tier is to provide much more flexibility to the whole system. 

Yes, you could match aircraft based on tier if you wanted to, but then if you want to move an aircraft up or down, as they have in the past, you have to change the tier that it is unlocked at as well. With the new system the progression and RP cost of the plane doesn't need to change, only the BR number needs to change. This also allows planes to be balanced between different modes, which is also impossible to do under the old system. Also remember that planes have always been matched based on their performance in game, even under the old system.

And of course if planes can only see things in their tier, that breaks the whole point of BR ratings, since the only way to move a plane up in matchmaking then is to move it up a tier, which means more time to unlock it and potentially hurts the smoothness of progression down trees.

So yes, the new system is better just because it adds more flexibility to how planes are tiered and balanced. Over time as they adjust numbers and make improvements there is no reason the current system couldn't be better than the old one.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal