Removal of unrealistic Jet flames

On 21/10/2017 at 9:47 AM, sniperNZSAS said:

Yep, same. It looks stupid and totally unrealistic. Get rid of them.

Agreed, it isn't a hard fix and would improve upon the look of the game tenfold. Custom aircraft skins already do this and it looks amazing with just the heat/exhaust effects and smoke.

medal medal medal medal medal medal

• Suggestion Moderator

The thing I don't like about the realistic Jetflames it that the entire engine is just black. There is no way of telling if the engine is actualy on. 

I would prefer something like this: https://live.warthunder.com/post/640646/en/

It has a smoke trail, but it still has that fire effect to it. I would like Gaijin to change it to something like that.

Other then that I agree. The default jetflame is just stupid xD

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, super_cacti said:

The thing I don't like about the realistic Jetflames it that the entire engine is just black. There is no way of telling if the engine is actualy on. 

I would prefer something like this: https://live.warthunder.com/post/640646/en/

It has a smoke trail, but it still has that fire effect to it. I would like Gaijin to change it to something like that.

Other then that I agree. The default jetflame is just stupid xD

Imho the exhaust smoke should be sufficient indicator of running engine :)

364372as.jpg

• Upvote 3
medal medal medal

3 hours ago, super_cacti said:

There is no way of telling if the engine is actualy on. 

Apart from the sound of the engine running?

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

So many nice small changes have come lately, that having this arrive before the year is over would make 2017 one of the best years for War Thunder. Either a simple solution of letting users disable the jet flame texture for all jets, or some new art with only an extremely faint glow and better sporadic smoke. Or both?

Posting to keep the flame alive for this thread.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

1 hour ago, EpicBlitzkrieg87 said:

Possibly when tier 6 jets are out they'll remove them from tier 5 planes and make them as afterburners for tier 6s +1

Hopefully sooner rather than later, I would rather them be removed even prior to Tier VI IMO.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 2 months later...

Was debating on starting a new thread for this problem, it's pretty cringey... Plus a realistic smoke trail would be a great way to spot enemies in sim, more depth=better imho

• Upvote 2
medal medal

• 1 month later...

It really would be good to see those huge flames go away. Early jets simply did not have visible flames coming out of their exhausts: Heat blur would be sufficient effect for the jet exhaust, along with some soot (thin smoke trail) at high power settings.

Later jets with afterburners would be a different thing obviously, but honestly the jet flames in WW2 and early Cold War jets just looks out of place rather than giving a good impression of the engine being on. It just makes it look like the engines are malfunctioning, like suffering from compressor stall all the time.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 1 month later...

The only airplanes that should get this feature are the mig 15 and 17. They are famous for having these "Glow Tails" from the exhaust. Really there should only be a trail of light smoke coming from the engine, not a ball of fire like in game.

I was going to load a picture of one of these from an air show I went to a few years back but it was too blurry to see the glow tail correctly, so I used this:

20180508_160247.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

@TankYou22 IIRC the MiG-17 you have in picture has been either modified for the airshow circuit or it is a MiG-17F the first one that had afterburner.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikoyan-Gurevich_MiG-17#Variants

The one in-game is the MiG-17A so the non-afterburner variant.

Best regards,

Phil

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...