Sd.Kfz.221 mit 2.8cm Panzerbüchse 41

CaID

Sd.Kfz.221 mit 2.8cm Panzerbüchse 41  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Sd.kfz 221 2.8cm be added to the game?

• Yes
    • Yes, as prenium/gift/events vehicles
    • No

jTkfi8J.jpg

This Suggestion is in support of the Armored Cars research line project

i would like to suggest a German armored car who could easily fit tier 1, the Sd.Kfz.221 mit 2.8cm Panzerbüchse 41

sdkfz221.jpg

introduction

the Sd.Kfz mit 2.8cm Panzerbuchse 41 was a converted armored car carrying the 2.8cm Mauser sPzB P.41 on a simple Sd.Kfz 221 with his original armament removed. the armament, while been not impressive by his caliber, was using the principle of the squeezebore with tungsten shell at an extremely high velocity (1500m/s). the gun was very light, it could be carried on simple armored car without additional modification on the structure to support the weight. but the big gun was reducing the crew at 2 (drive + gunner). while been able to have a rate of fire of 30 rpm with a crew of 3 (gunner, loader, commander) the single man to operate the gun would hardly get better than 20 rpm (3sec reload). the gun have an impressive penetration for his small size, a penetration of 75mm @ 100 and 52mm @ 500m. the effectiveness of the shot was reducing fast and over 500m the gun was considered unfit to engage most of the target. while piercing well, the small size of the Tungsten shell was not leaving as much damage as the conventional shell, a accurate shot targeting the crew and machinery is the key of this gun. the Sd.Kfz 221 was a light weight in battle, his small V8 3.5L Horch 90hp engine was more than suitable to allow the 4.5 tons vehicles to reach a speed of 75km/h on read and the 4 wheel drive was allowing a relatively good off-road speed of 40km/h. the vehicles was protected by 14.5mm of steel in the front and the turret and 6mm on the side and the rear. the light armor was protecting against the small arms and shrapnel but was vulnerable to even the lightest cannon.

23325_html_583e1f64.jpg

History

The Sd.Kfz.221 mit 2.8cm Panzerbüchse 41 was a modified Sd.Kfz 221 produced with the old Sd.kfz 221 already built and in services. the up armed Sd.Kfz 221 was issue in 1942 to Panzerspähwagen squadrons of the Aufklärungs detachments of light, Panzer, and motorized infantry divisions. the role of this vehicles was still the reconnaissance like his Mg version.

sdkfz221-spzb41-28cm.png

Specifications
Weight 4,500 kg
Length 4.8 m (15 ft 9 in)
Width 1.95 m (6 ft 5 in)
Height 1.7 m (5 ft 7 in)
Crew 2

Armor 5 - 14.5 mm
Main
armament
2.8 cm s PzB 41  
Secondary
armament
none
Engine Horch 3.8 V8 petrol
90 PS (66 kW; 89 hp)
Suspension 4x4
Operational
range
300 km (186 mi)
Speed road: 75 km/h
cross-country: 40 km (25 mi)

Source

http://www.wwiivehicles.com/germany/vehicle/armored-cars/sdkfz-221-armored-car.asp#p7TPMc1_3

http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/nazi_germany/sdkfz-221-222-223.php

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leichter_Panzerspähwagen

http://www.wehrmacht-history.com/heer/panzer-armaments/2.8-cm-kwk-42.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2.8_cm_sPzB_41

Other German Armored cars included in the Armored Cars research line project

Sd.Kfz 231 Wg 6-rad

Sd.Kfz 221 Mit 2.8cm Panzerbüchse 41

Sd.Kfz 222 Ausf.A

Sd.Kfz 222 Ausf.B

Sd.Kfz 231 Wg 8-rad Early

Sd.Kfz 231 Wg 8-rad late

Sd.Kfz 232

Sd.Kfz 233

Sd.Kfz 234/2

Sd.Kfz 234/4

Edited by CaID
  • Upvote 20
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Why not?

Would be a derpy little bugger :P

1.7-2.0 BR would be nice considering its quite fast rate of fire (30RPM), good speed and good pen. In the latest Q&A they said they want to buff APCR spall so it would probably do a decent amount of post pen damage as well

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Alphanoodle said:

Why not?

Would be a derpy little bugger :P

1.7-2.0 BR would be nice considering its quite fast rate of fire (30RPM), good speed and good pen. In the latest Q&A they said they want to buff APCR spall so it would probably do a decent amount of post pen damage as well

the 30 RPM was including a crew of 3 men. this vehicles have only a single man to operate the gun, the RPM should be affected. about 15-20RPM is probably what his real fire rate this vehicles had with a good training. but while having only a medium range, the pen of this gun is decent enough.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, CaID said:

the 30 RPM was including a crew of 3 men. this vehicles have only a single man to operate the gun, the RPM should be affected. about 15-20RPM is probably what his real fire rate this vehicles had with a good training. but while having only a medium range, the pen of this gun is decent enough

I did some research on the gun and as it turns out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwDV-gVhysQ it doesnt seem to have a magazine (like the british boys AT-rifle) but is single shot only like the soviet PTRD AT-rifle. Unless they made a magazine for this particular vehicle i think the rate of fire is gonna be something around 6 RPM if only 1 man opertates it. He has to open the bolt, get the round from an ammo crate, load the huge 28mm cartridge into the rifle, close the bolt and get his sight on target again. In the video you can already see that it takes roughly about 6sec to load the gun with a loader. It would take even longer with only 1 man. If that is the case then a 1.0 BR would fit better. Still a very interesting vehicle tho :good:

Oh and btw the limited range wouldnt be too much of an issue since Gaijin (for some reason) scaled A LOT of the GF maps down and even on bigger maps there is (almost) always a chance to engage the enemy at close range. (Only exception would be Volokolamsk)

aVeryInterestingGunIndeed.jpg

Edited by Alphanoodle
  • Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, Alphanoodle said:

I did some research on the gun and as it turns out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwDV-gVhysQ it doesnt seem to have a magazine (like the british boys AT-rifle) but is single shot only like the soviet PTRD AT-rifle. Unless they made a magazine for this particular vehicle i think the rate of fire is gonna be something around 6 RPM if only 1 man opertates it. He has to open the bolt, get the round from an ammo crate, load the huge 28mm cartridge into the rifle, close the bolt and get his sight on target again. In the video you can already see that it takes roughly about 6sec to load the gun with a loader. It would take even longer with only 1 man. If that is the case then a 1.0 BR would fit better. Still a very interesting vehicle tho :good:

Oh and btw the limited range wouldnt be too much of an issue since Gaijin (for some reason) scaled A LOT of the GF maps down and even on bigger maps there is (almost) always a chance to engage the enemy at close range. (Only exception would be Volokolamsk)

aVeryInterestingGunIndeed.jpg

first this guy did reload in 5sec under the command of his commander (started a 8sec, finish at 13sec), usually there is also a 3rd guy to aim. 60 / 5 = 12.

if you notice, the loader did put the shell and jam it a bit required him to replace it correctly before closing the chamber, he did that in 5sec. if the loader is good with the gun, he may do it even faster. the 28mm shell is relatively small. small enough to be manipulated with 1 single hand. i know it because i am used to load 73mm shell in the cougar gun back when i was in the Canadian reserve and i could do it with one single hand well enough. 12rpm in the video, 15rpm is what i think should be the basic reload speed, 20 should be the well trained crew and 30 rpm is for the gun when you are manning it with a 3man crew.

• Upvote 3

Some good points indeed.

Even tho 15RPM is a bit unrealistic (that'd be a round every 4sec without a loader) I think it is necessary in order to balance it out since most tank guns at 1.0 have a reload of around 3-4sec. And also a lot of the reload times in game are not particularly realistic but simply there to balance everything. With a VERY experienced gunner it should be possible IRL to achieve this RoF and also since it the gun is mounted on a vehicle, the gunner doesnt need to handle recoil which greatly decreases the reload speed.

A nice vehicle indeed and you have my full suport! +1

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Dark_Exia said:

+1 1.7-2.3 would fit this thing well

i think it would go a bit lower. i think it's currently 1.3 in the game, i didn't paid a lot of attention in the dev server. but keep in mind, the gun is doing about as much post penetration damage as a 20mm bullet, it may penetrate well but it shoot only one bullet every 3-4 secs.

• Upvote 1

• Senior Suggestion Moderator

As the Sd.Kfz.221 mit 2.8cm Panzerbüchse 41 has been added as per 1.79,

Moved to Implemented Suggestions.:salute:

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2