Sd.kfz.222  

281 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Sd.kfz 222 Ausf.A be added to the game?

• Yes
    • Yes, as prenium/gift/events vehicles
    • No
  2. 2. Should the Sd.kfz 222 Ausf.B be added to the game?

• Yes
    • Yes, as prenium/gift/events vehicles
    • No

jTkfi8J.jpg

This Suggestion is in support of the Armored Cars research line project

I would like to suggest what could be a nice addition to Warthunder, the Sd.Kfz 222.

9407535644_ed211a9c46_b.jpg

Introduction

The Sd.Kfz 222 was a modified Sd.kfz.221 with a larger turret to fit a 20mm gun as main armament. the vehicles was used for the reconnaissance and was widely produced between 1936 and 1943. the armament and the armor of the armored car was nothing to be impress about but his high speed allow a great mobility and the gun elevation, almost vertical, was allowing to engage the plane if needed. the Sd.kfz was produced in 6-7 serie, the serie 1 to 5 was armed with the kwk 30 2cm gun but the later serie was equiped with the faster Kwk 38 2cm gun. the serie 6-7 was also powered by a slightly bit more powerful engine but the additional weight was keeping the performence relatively the same. a anti-grenade mesh was covering the open top turret and this shell could be open like the hatch of a tank, this mesh was later remove to allow a more convenient elevation of the gun. the armor of this vehicles was relatively weak, 14.5mm in the front and the turret and 6mm for the side and the rear. the Ausf.B was also up armored with a frontal armor of 30mm.

sd.kfz.222-6.jpg

History

the Sd.Kfz.222 was designed to meet the requirement of the reconnaissance armored car with a high performance and good armament. the Sd.Kfz.221 went into production a year earlier and was offering an exelent mobility but the turret was not suitable to fit heavier armament. the Sd.kfz.222 was based on the Sd.kfz.221 with a larger turret, a few internal redesign to reiforce the stuctur and the result was simple and fast to set into production. the Sd.kfz.222 went into production a year after his predecessor, the Sd.kfz.221 but didn't replaced it completly, the Sd.kfz.221 went into services along side the Sd.kfz.222 and was offering the similar performence but simply had lighter armament. the Sd.Kfz.222 was used in all front durring the WW2 and was produced in 2 main variant, the Ausf.A (serie 1938 - 1941) and Ausf.B (1942 - 1943). the Ausf.B was featuring a slightly more powerful engine, a fast gun and a better frontal armor. we can tell appart the both variant by comparing the length of the gun and the absence of anti-grenade mesh on the Ausf.B. it was issued to the Panzerspähwagen squadrons of the Aufklärungs battalions.

Variant

Sd.Kfz.222 Ausf.A

Spoiler

it was the production variant from 1938 to 1941. it was featuring the 2cm Kwk 30 gun with a rate of fire of 280 rpm and a 3.5 L engine. the frontal armor was 14.5mm of thinnest. this model was produced in the 5 first series.

sdkfz222.jpg

Specifications
Weight 4,000 kg
Length 4.8 m (15 ft 9 in)
Width 1.95 m (6 ft 5 in)
Height 1.7 m (5 ft 7 in)
Crew 3

Armor 5 - 14.5 mm
Main
armament
1 × 2 cm KwK 30 L/55 autocannon
Secondary
armament
1 × Maschinengewehr 34
Engine Horch 3.5 V8 petrol
90 PS (66 kW; 75 hp)
Suspension 4x4
Operational
range
300 km (186 mi)
Speed road: 80 km (50 mi)
cross-country: 40 km (25 mi)

Sd.Kfz.222 Ausf.B

Spoiler

this version was featuring the Kwk 38 gun which was longer and had a rate of fire of 480 rpm. the 3.8 L engine was more powerful and the frontal armor was now 30mm thick. the anti-grenade mesh was usually remove to allow an more convinian elevation of the gun.

222-5.jpg

Specifications
Weight 4,000 kg
Length 4.8 m (15 ft 9 in)
Width 1.95 m (6 ft 5 in)
Height 1.7 m (5 ft 7 in)
Crew 3

Armor 5 - 14.5 mm
Main
armament
1 × 2 cm KwK 38 autocannon
Secondary
armament
1 × Maschinengewehr 34
Engine Horch 3.8 V8 petrol
90 PS (66 kW; 89 hp)
Suspension 4x4
Operational
range
300 km (186 mi)
Speed road: 90 km
cross-country: 40 km

Source

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leichter_Panzerspähwagen

http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/nazi_germany/sdkfz-221-222-223.php

http://www.wwiivehicles.com/germany/vehicle/armored-cars/sdKfz-222-armored-car.asp#p7TPMc1_3

http://www.wwiivehicles.com/germany/guns/20-mm.asp

Other German Armored cars included in the Armored Cars research line project

Sd.Kfz 231 Wg 6-rad

Sd.Kfz 221 Mit 2.8cm Panzerbüchse 41

Sd.Kfz 222 Ausf.A

Sd.Kfz 222 Ausf.B

Sd.Kfz 231 Wg 8-rad Early

Sd.Kfz 231 Wg 8-rad late

Sd.Kfz 232

Sd.Kfz 233

Sd.Kfz 234/2

Sd.Kfz 234/4

Edited by CaID
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 37
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

The RAF No.2 Armoured Car Company actually captured two of these in North Africa, they used them till 1947.

Spoiler

Model_Sdkfz222rafwilliams%20(6).jpg

Edited by Mercedes4321
  • Upvote 3
medal medal medal medal

9 minutes ago, Mercedes4321 said:

The RAF No.2 Armoured Car Company actually captured two of these in North Africa, they used them till 1947.

Reveal hidden contents

Model_Sdkfz222rafwilliams%20(6).jpg

maybe a premium candidate. they are Ausf.A and B

Edited by CaID
  • Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...

i'm all for these. the panzer II C and F are both like crazy go-karts anyway, the sd.kfz.222s just drop the extra armor for more Initial D super-extreme-ultra-late-braking drifting shenanigans.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

1 hour ago, Banelord300 said:

i had the permission of the suggestion helper in reference of those suggestion to go forward to remake the suggestion with the recent up-date. too many was either inaccurate or incomplete and the owner was simply not active in the forum anymore. so i just requested the suggestion helper to allow me to remake the suggestion who was neither archived right or out-dated/incomplete without been merged. the situation only apply on a few suggestion in the armored car project and this agreement was having the purpose to have the armored car project as alive and up-dated possible.

you can check on Blakeob or Sauber_Kh7, it's to them i asked the permission, which they later implied Cokespray in the discussion to make their decision final. as soon i got the green light i flooded the suggestion with a lot of armored car in a fews days as i told them i would do.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, TT33a said:

Pretty sure the 222 is just as thick frontally (30mm) as the Panzer II C & F are

half of it. the Sd.kfz 231 8-rad did have additional spaced armor plate in the front to reach 30mm and also using it for extra storage sometime but the real Sd.kfz.231 8rad just as the Sd.kfz 222 was 15mm in the front and no more.

some claim the late model was was up to 30mm but there is no accurate details about it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TT33a said:

image.jpg

image.jpg

yeah i got an more accurate details. it was only the nose plate that was 30mm, the lower plate right bellow the driver hatch and the plate where the driver visor is was 8mm. according to the encyclopedia i have. and still it seem it wasn't every Ausf B who had the 30mm.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, *SGTBushong said:

The chassis and the gun are already in the game....this would be very simple to throw together.

i believe the turret is pretty similar to one in the game too.

669px-Sd.Kfz._140_Garage.jpg

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, *SGTBushong said:

The chassis and the gun are already in the game....this would be very simple to throw together.

Besides, we have the turret on the Sd.Kfz 140/1 already.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 19/06/2018 at 14:01, *SGTBushong said:

Does the 222 use the same chassis as the 221?  Because the new armored car with the anti-tank rifle is a 221.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal