Object 279; The FINAL Soviet Heavy Tank

Ruslan_DR

Tenk.  

619 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want this in game?

• Of course
    • No.
  2. 2. Would you want this vehicle EVEN IF it meant the Kpz-70 and MBT-70 variants would be put in to combat it?

• Yes
    • No, keep your silly designs out of my game.
  3. 3. Would you want this if we had more vehicles in between them, and had at least one equal match for each nation?

• Of course.
    • No
  4. 4. how about as a tournament vehicle, like the E-100?

• Yes, it's well deserved.
    • no.

I know this is going to probably make a lot of people rage that this is even a suggestion, but frankly I have my reasons.

This will probably degrade into anarchy in about five seconds but what the hell. Let's see how far we can go.

Object 279; the last of the giants

It has more armor than a maus
It has a better gun than a maus
It's a lot faster than a maus
It's got vertical and horizontal gun stabilization

It has no flat armor to shoot at
It's russian.

It's also never been a driveable vehicle in any game that I know of.

object-279.jpg

PandaObj279-3.jpg

Object_279-4.jpg

Object_279_(tank).JPG

2ij58o3.jpg

Specifications and data;

Being the last of the heavy tanks, Object 279 was only built in a grand total of 2 vehicles, and at that time the USSR decided they did not want big, heavy vehicles anymore. Despite this however, the prototype vehicles proved to perform more like a rediculous T-54 than anything.

Built; 1959

Voila, a-la copypaste from wikipedia (I can't write all this out! It's already there so that would be a waste of time!)

Weight; 60 metric tons

Length; 6,770 mm

length; 11,085 mm (with the gun)

Width; 3,400 mm

Height; 2,639 mm

Crew; 4 | Driver | Loader | Gunner | Commander

Armor

319 mm - 217 mm (turret front and side)
(at 30° - 50° from vertical)
269 mm - 93 mm (upper hull front)
(at 45° - 75° from vertical)
258 mm - 121 mm (lower hull front)
(at 45° - 70° from vertical)
182 mm - 100 mm (hull side)
(at 45° - 65° from vertical)

Main armament: 130 mm M-65 rifled gun L/60 (24 rounds)

Shell type: APCBC-HE-T

Muzzle velocity: 1,030 m/s

Penetration (red boxed): 

EnA0V2A.png?1

*Soviet penetration standard*

Secondary armament; 14.5 x 114 mm KPVT coaxial machine gun (800 rounds)

Engine 2DG-8M diesel engine 1000 hp

Operational range; 300 km

Speed; 55 km/h

Additional information;

The gun; The tank was armed with the 130 mm M-65 rifled gun. The secondary armament was a 14.5 x 114 mm KPVT coaxial machine gun with 800 rounds.The weapons were stabilized in two planes by a "Groza" stabilizer. Object 279 carried 24 rounds of ammunition, with charge and the shell to be loaded separately

The gun was provided with a semi-automatic loading system with a rate of fire of 5-7 rounds/min. Firing control system comprised optical rangefinder, auto-guidance system and L2 night-sight with an active infrared searchlight.

An improved variant of the gun was later tested on the experimental tank Object 785 in the late 1970s.

The tracks; (which I find hilarious, nice job exposing those fuel tanks!) This unique tank boasted increased cross-country capability. It featured four-track running gear mounted on two longitudinal, rectangular hollow beams, which were also used as fuel tanks. The tank suspension was hydro-pneumatic with complex hydrotransformer and three-speed planetary gearbox. The track adjuster was worm-type. The specific ground pressure of this heavy vehicle did not exceed 0.6 kg/cm2. The track chain, running practically along the whole track length provided for increased cross-country capabilities on swampy terrain, soft soils and area full of cut trees, Czech hedgehogs, antitank obstacles and the like.

It also had auto fire-fighting systems, smoke laying equipment and a combat compartment heating/cooling system.

Yes I know that was mostly copy-paste but I wrote this up at 1 AM.

Edited by Ruslan_DR
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 37
medal

• Senior Suggestion Moderator

Open for discussion. :Salute:

• Upvote 3

24 rounds of ammo.

Eh, sure, include it :p

medal

Well, despite it looks epic, this thing, with the current game mechanics, would just bounce everything shot at it. It would actually be immune to pretty much everything in-game now, so, i have to say:

Maybe in the future when the other Nations have something comparable. like the Kpz 70 for Germany, the T-Series for the US, and all these strange FV-(...) Vehicles for the British. 

Also, it would be better to explain your reasons, and to add "Maybe in the future" as 3rd answer to the first question in the poll. 

Edited by Panzerzwerg
  • Upvote 5
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

No at least we get Maus With experimental sabot round, corretct APHE penetration, correct turret armor with superior armor coefficient to reflect KCA.

Or simply give Kampfpanzer 70

• Upvote 8
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

sure bring it in... Br 9.0, Germany gets the Leo 2 Asomething, US the 120mm M1... and that was it... all at 9.0... and then you can enjoy oyur 279... GETTING WRECKED by Leopard 2s and M1 Abrams! Otherwise... take that Object 279... turn it sideways... shine it up real nicely and... if you know The Rock you know where this is leading to....

• Upvote 10
medal medal medal medal

It looks seriously stupid lol.

Well.

I agree with the guy up above tough.

With current Mechanics and Available Tanks on German Side.

This thing would be absolutely Overpowered.

We first need to bring the other Nations up to Par by adding more Tanks for them. Before we can start adding even more Stuff for Soviets.

Soviets currently got the most High Tier stuff anyways.

sure bring it in... Br 9.0, Germany gets the Leo 2 Asomething, US the 120mm M1... and that was it... all at 9.0... and then you can enjoy oyur 279... GETTING WRECKED by Leopard 2s and M1 Abrams! Otherwise... take that Object 279... turn it sideways... shine it up real nicely and... if you know The Rock you know where this is leading to....

Its an 1960 Build Tank.

So it would actually Face Leopard 1

Well for Fairness Said.

HEATFS can Penetrate it. So its not that much of an Problem for Leopard 1 Tanks. 

The Problem is that the other Nations first actually need way more Tanks using HEATFS

Currently especially Germany is for most part using WW2 Technology which wont be able to scratch that thing.

Germany only has Leopard 1 on this regard.

Soviets already got like 5 Tanks on that level.

We need to add some Numbers to German side. Or this wont work out.

medal medal medal medal

there'd also be the KaJaPA... but it starts with APCR instead of its actuall HESH or HEAT rounds

So it would actually Face Leopard 1

Well for Fairness Said.

HEATFS can Penetrate it. So its not that much of an Problem for Leopard 1 Tanks.

and? The Object wouild still be able to kill it with a sneeze from one side of the map to the other most likely... that's why leo 2... so that it bites out it's teeth...

medal medal medal medal

Maybe in the future when the other Nations have something comparable. like the Kpz 70 for Germany, the T-Series for the US, and all these strange FV-(...) Vehicles for the British. 

Also, it would be better to explain your reasons, and to add "Maybe in the future" as 3rd answer to the first question in the poll. 

as for reasons, my whole ulterior motive is that everyone complained that the Kpz-70 would be too OP. so, I gave them something to counter it with. Both vehicles have comparable statistics.

Well for Fairness Said.

The Problem is that the other Nations first actually need way more Tanks using HEATFS

Currently especially Germany is for most part using WW2 Technology which wont be able to scratch that thing.

Soviets already got like 5 Tanks on that level.

We need to add some Numbers to German side. Or this wont work out.

Heh, yeah.... This is why i'm pushing for the MBT to also be added, then it would be fair, here's a point straight off the wiki;

"The tank hull, with a maximum armour thickness of 269 mm, was covered by a thin, elliptical shield protecting it against APDSand shaped charge ammunition, and preventing it from overturning by the shockwave in case of a nuclear explosion. It comprised large cast irregular shape structures of variable thickness and slope. The all-cast front part of the hull was rounded in shape with thin armour panels against HEAT projectiles, which ran around the edges of the front and sides of the hull. The sides of the hull were also cast and had similar protective armour panels.

The all-cast turret, with a maximum armor thickness of 319 mm, was rounded and had anti-HEAT protective panels. The turret ring was also heavily protected. The tank was equipped with a chemical, biological, radiological, and nuclear (CBRN) protection."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object_279

Then again, it's tracks ARE fuel tanks so..... not entirely impossible to wreck

Edited by Ruslan_DR
  • Upvote 5
medal

Updated with a rear shot, even getting behind it won't help much with finding a way to kill it. 

I was right, total anarchy, the community is split in half between wanting and hating it :v

Edited by Ruslan_DR
medal

No thanks. It's not needed, Russia doesn't need any tier 5 tanks right now. Focus on Germany and the US.

thought-police-2.jpg

In all seriousness, part of the reason i'm asking for this is because it gives the MBT-70 an equal opponent. Therefore, more vehicles. But ONLY if they're both added at once

And how are we supposed to destroy this thing? It has no flat armor...

It's actually easier than you think. The boxes between the tracks (visible from rear photo) are external fuel tanks, essentially pontoon shaped bombs. 

Or, aim for;

Gun

tracks

turret, essentially the same as fighting a T-54 or T-10m, same turret configuration.

Turret roof, HE sends spall through it and straight down into the crew and cannon breech. This means if they're even slightly inclined hull-down towards you, it makes their roof an even bigger target than a T-10 or T-54's does.

Edited by Ruslan_DR
medal

I find it amusing that ''new Tier 5 russian vehicle'' is taboo in this forum.

The Object 269 is my favourite russian tank but i think we needn't it (as for kpz70 and leopard 2) because it is too strong for the current level.

Edited by HERTZMAND
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

A 55kph t95 that can survive a direct hit from a strumtiger/b-29 without any hull damage should not be in this game. PERIOD.

Also, this has already been suggested at least once in the past

Edited by Ihun
  • Upvote 2

A 55kph t95 that can survive a direct hit from a strumtiger/b-29 without any hull damage should not be in this game. PERIOD.

Also, this has already been suggested at least once in the past

BUT KOMRADE SOVIET BIAS.

I only suggested it so the MBT-70 would have something to fight in the future :P besides it's fuel tanks are barely even armored, and they're external. You can hit them from even a slight angle!

aaaand sturmtiger will still wreck it. The shield prevents it from being flipped in a nuclear blast, but doesn't prevent it form blowing up from a  close bomb.

Also, if you shoot it in the lower side, your shot will ricochet into the fuel tanks.

Edited by Ruslan_DR
medal

besides it's fuel tanks are barely even armored, and they're external. You can hit them from even a slight angle!

but they are glorious soviet diesel... they won't burn like crappy german diesel in the Maus!

• Upvote 3
medal medal medal medal

This was a tank that was designed to survive the shockwave(Not necessarily direct hit) of a nuclear blast.

No.

I know from secret sources that was tested with the Zar-Bomb with this tank. And there tested it a new steel alloy with a very very rare metal named stalinium. This tanks survied it and the soviet union built 500 tanks and placed it an strategical position in eastern europ. In the case that the cold war began and nukes fell, the tanks can destroy the all in the destroyed all.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal