Object 279; The FINAL Soviet Heavy Tank

Ruslan_DR

Tenk.  

619 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want this in game?

• Of course
    • No.
  2. 2. Would you want this vehicle EVEN IF it meant the Kpz-70 and MBT-70 variants would be put in to combat it?

• Yes
    • No, keep your silly designs out of my game.
  3. 3. Would you want this if we had more vehicles in between them, and had at least one equal match for each nation?

• Of course.
    • No
  4. 4. how about as a tournament vehicle, like the E-100?

• Yes, it's well deserved.
    • no.

just one question how do you think anyone could kill this?

Blow up the fuel tanks it rides on.
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Blow up the fuel tanks it rides on.

but tovarish is of glorious soviet diesel)))) doesnt burn))))

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal

Get this paper tank prototype **** out of here

Paper? It was built, it fits the cut off date, it should be in the game. Not now, but eventually.

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal

OMG it looks awesome! I have to admit the first time I saw this tank (a drawing on another site) I thought it was fake. But now that I see it here, I am surprised to see it's real! :good: :Os

Bring the UFO tank in! But put it as a premiun tank.

No way. It should be a main tree tank as it's performance and armour would make it a tier 5 for sure.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

No vote so far, but can I just say that is a pretty ridiculous looking tank. I just want to know what the hell the engineers were thinking...

"We need more mobility and ground resistance! What to do?"

"Put more track on it comrade!"

"...coudnt we just...widen the tracks?"

"What?! Never! Put more track on it! Sergei, you get promotion! Ivan, follow me."

(Ivan is sent to gulag and is never heard from again) Edited by Harbinger75
  • Upvote 2

No vote so far, but can I just say that is a pretty ridiculous looking tank. I just want to know what the hell the engineers were thinking...

"We need more mobility and ground resistance! What to do?"

"Put more track on it comrade!"

"...coudnt we just...widen the tracks?"

"What?! Never! Put more track on it! Sergei, you get promotion! Ivan, follow me."

(Ivan is sent to gulag and is never heard from again)

I believe it was designed as a nuclear warfare tank, with ability to survive a thermonuclear explosion. Afterwards it would be used to punch through front lines, probably from navigating terrain, which is otherwise inaccessible to other tanks, there by surprising the enemy.

In summary a highly moveable Cold War Russian nuclear blast proof rubble-climbing projectile deflecting ninja swamp monster. This thing would wade through Anglo-Saxon tankers tears, while deflecting tissues, with the objective of penetrating their tears ducts. It would make your Maus look like a toilet roll doll.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

I have my problems with the 279. It's slow, too well protected for in-game, the M-65 cannon is not powerful enough to fight vehicles like the MBT/Kpz 70, and it's uglier than all hell. I'd have to say no. 

You know a Soviet tank is over the top, when even Choogle says no to it. 

• Upvote 2

Paper? It was built, it fits the cut off date, it should be in the game. Not now, but eventually.

Eventually, perhaps as a reward with limited numbers, similar to the E100 event. If German tankers players are stung with historical accuracy, then I see no reason why Russian prototype tanks shouldn't suffer the same fate.

You know a Soviet tank is over the top, when even Choogle says no to it. 

55kph is better then other heavy tanks in 1959. 

Eventually, perhaps as a reward with limited numbers, similar to the E100 event. If German tankers players are stung with historical accuracy, then I see no reason why Russian prototype tanks shouldn't suffer the same fate.

No, xxxx that. The game isn't about historicaly accurate events, it's about vehicles.

Make it accesible to everyone who has grinded all the way into T5 like with the La-174. No more "events" behind paywalls.

I, as a long time German TT player, don't like what they have done with the E100 and I don't think any other nation deserves that bulllshit. Not even OP Bussia.

Edited by SirToast
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal

I believe it was designed as a nuclear warfare tank, with ability to survive a thermonuclear explosion. Afterwards it would be used to punch through front lines, probably from navigating terrain, which is otherwise inaccessible to other tanks, there by surprising the enemy.

In summary a highly moveable Cold War Russian nuclear blast proof rubble-climbing projectile deflecting ninja swamp monster. This thing would wade through Anglo-Saxon tankers tears, while deflecting tissues, with the objective of penetrating their tears ducts. It would make your Maus look like a toilet roll doll.

Fair enough, but one thing: Woudnt this all come to a screeching halt if one the tracks were shot at and it decoupled?

Fair enough, but one thing: Woudnt this all come to a screeching halt if one the tracks were shot at and it decoupled?

More likely it would suffer a fuel fire or a fuel leak if the track got shot off. It rides on fuel tanks.
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

I would imagine so =P 

What would the British equivalent be for these tanks? Would the FV 4005 Stage 2 tank destroyer with 183 mm gun be a match?

i don't know about the armor thickness of this tank or whatever it is, it looks bounchy as shift just think of t34 slope and how many times you shot and it just bounched and now think of that.

I would like to see it but the game needs something to counter it

Edited by kapios_kapiopoyl
medal

I know this is going to probably make a lot of people rage that this is even a suggestion, but frankly I have my reasons.

This will probably degrade into anarchy in about five seconds but what the hell. Let's see how far we can go.

Object 279; the last of the giants

It has more armor than a maus
It has a better gun than a maus
It's a lot faster than a maus
It's got vertical and horizontal gun stabilization

It has no flat armor to shoot at
It's russian.

It's also never been a driveable vehicle in any game that I know of.

object-279.jpg

PandaObj279-3.jpg

IRL museum photos;

[spoiler]
Object_279-4.jpg

Object_279_(tank).JPG

2ij58o3.jpg
[/spoiler] 

Specifications and data;

[spoiler]
Being the last of the heavy tanks, Object 279 was only built in a grand total of 2 vehicles, and at that time the USSR decided they did not want big, heavy vehicles anymore. Despite this however, the prototype vehicles proved to perform more like a rediculous T-54 than anything.

Built; 1959

Voila, a-la copypaste from wikipedia (I can't write all this out! It's already there so that would be a waste of time!)

Weight; 60 metric tons

Length; 6,770 mm

length; 11,085 mm (with the gun)

Width; 3,400 mm

Height; 2,639 mm

Crew; 4 | Driver | Loader | Gunner | Commander

Armor

319 mm - 217 mm (turret front and side)
(at 30° - 50° from vertical)
269 mm - 93 mm (upper hull front)
(at 45° - 75° from vertical)
258 mm - 121 mm (lower hull front)
(at 45° - 70° from vertical)
182 mm - 100 mm (hull side)
(at 45° - 65° from vertical)

Main armament: 130 mm M-65 rifled gun L/60 (24 rounds)

Secondary armament; 14.5 x 114 mm KPVT coaxial machine gun (800 rounds)

Engine 2DG-8M diesel engine 1000 hp

Operational range; 300 km

Speed; 55 km/h

[/spoiler]

Additional information;

[spoiler]

The gun; The tank was armed with the 130 mm M-65 rifled gun. The secondary armament was a 14.5 x 114 mm KPVT coaxial machine gun with 800 rounds.The weapons were stabilized in two planes by a "Groza" stabilizer. Object 279 carried 24 rounds of ammunition, with charge and the shell to be loaded separately

The gun was provided with a semi-automatic loading system with a rate of fire of 5-7 rounds/min. Firing control system comprised optical rangefinder, auto-guidance system and L2 night-sight with an active infrared searchlight.

An improved variant of the gun was later tested on the experimental tank Object 785 in the late 1970s.

The tracks; (which I find hilarious, nice job exposing those fuel tanks!) This unique tank boasted increased cross-country capability. It featured four-track running gear mounted on two longitudinal, rectangular hollow beams, which were also used as fuel tanks. The tank suspension was hydro-pneumatic with complex hydrotransformer and three-speed planetary gearbox. The track adjuster was worm-type. The specific ground pressure of this heavy vehicle did not exceed 0.6 kg/cm2. The track chain, running practically along the whole track length provided for increased cross-country capabilities on swampy terrain, soft soils and area full of cut trees, Czech hedgehogs, antitank obstacles and the like.

It also had auto fire-fighting systems, smoke laying equipment and a combat compartment heating/cooling system.

[/spoiler]

Yes I know that was mostly copy-paste but I wrote this up at 1 AM.

Can you please add a poll option for putting this in-game as a premium/gift (like the E-100)?

Also, IMO the IS-7 should really the the endgame Russian heavy. 

Edited by Results45
medal medal medal

• Technical Moderator
I dont think this one would be op. It can be detracked really easily and we all know how fuel tanks works in this game. What is the frontal armor down at the tracks?