Supermarine Swift F.1 & Supermarine Swift F.2 - British Top Tier Jet Fighters! (Updated with Aircraft Manual)

Supermarine Swift F.1 and Supermarine Swift F.2  

376 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want these planes added to the game?

• Yes, Britain has only 1 top tier (Hunter) so it needs more top tier jets
    • No (explain why)
    • Maybe
    • Other
  2. 2. If they were to be added to the game, which BR should they be at?

3. 3. Where should the Swift F.1 and F.2 be placed?

• Before the Hunter in the Hawker line
    • At the end of the Spitfire line
    • Other

Hi! Today I want to suggest the Supermarine Swift F.1 and F.2, two beautiful swept-wing subsonic jets that could be added as top tier jest for Britain. I believe if Gaijin decides to add them, they will be fun as they were agile, accelerated a tad better than the MiG-15bis initially (of course it has flaws that would make it fit perfectly into the game). I will be using info 2 websites to introduce the planes and another website for their performance statistics and dimensions/scales.

Overview:

Related image

Spoiler

Supermarine Swift F.1:

The Supermarine Swift was a British single-seat jet-propelled fighter aircraft that was operated by the Royal Air Force (RAF). It was developed and manufactured by Supermarine during the 1940s and 1950s. The Swift featured many of the new jet age innovations, such as a swept wing. After a protracted development period, the Swift entered service as an interceptor aircraft with the RAF in 1954. However, due to a spate of accidents incurred by the type, the Swift was grounded for a time, and experienced a relatively brief service life. These issues with the Swift led to a public scandal surrounding the aircraft, harming the reputations of the British government, the RAF, and the aircraft industry. In February 1954, the Swift F 1 entered service with the RAF, No. 56 Squadron became the first RAF squadron to operate the type; upon its introduction, the Swift became the RAF's first swept-wing aircraft. Tragedy struck very early in the career of the Swift: there were a number of accidents that involved the F 1 and F 2, one of these being fatal. In August 1954, it was decided that the Swift F 1 would be grounded; the Swift F 2, which had effectively replaced the F 1 in that same month, was also soon grounded alongside it due to similar reasons.

The first production variant was a fighter designated the Swift F Mk 1, of which 18 were eventually built. It was powered by a single 7,500 lbf (33.4 kN)-thrust Avon 109 engine and carried an armament of two 30 mm ADEN cannons. On 25 August 1952, the first flight of a production standard Swift F 1 took place.

SWIFT-2a.jpg

Design and development:

Image result for swift f.1

Spoiler

The first flight of the Swift (Supermarine Type 510) was in December 1948, it was the first British jet aircraft with swept wings and tail plane. Trails were carried out of on aircraft carriers and as such, the Swift became the first swept-wing jet to land and take-off from an aircraft carrier (the US would carry this out a number of years later). Sad to say, the Royal Navy lost interest in the Swift
The first type Swift to enter RAF service was the fighter version, the F.1 and this was in February of 1954 with 56 Squadron (Sqn), there were a number of problems with this first version and the F.1's were replaced with F.2 very quickly. The F.3 never entered service with the RAF. The F.4 enter service with the RAF, however, again there were problems, one being, when flying at high altitude, the reheat would not work. Only nine F.4 Swifts were ever built. Production then was switched to a fighter reconnaissance version, the FR.5. This version was designed to replace the outdated Meteor FR.9's. The FR.5 was basically a F.4 with a larger nose to house 3 F.95 cameras, one camera being mounted facing forward, the other 2 mounted for taking oblique imagery facing out on each side of the nose, just forward on the air intakes. The FR.5 retained its two 30mm cannons from the fighter version and a 220 gallon "belly" fuel tank was fitted as standard. The FR.5 underwent trails at Boscombe Down in July 1953. The first production version flew in 1955 and in January 1956, II(AC) Sqn RAF, stationed in Germany, began to receive their FR.5's. The FR Swift's were slowly replaced with Hunter FR.10's which started to entered service in 1960.
Carrying out fighter reconnaissance along side II(AC) were 79 Sqn, however,  they were disbanded in the first months of 1961 with all their equipment being merged with 4 Sqn. It was during this period the Swifts were replaced with Hunter FR.10's. However, a number of Swift FR.5's did operated with 4 Sqn during this re-equipping period. With some the aircraft carrying markings for both squadrons. A total of 94 FR.5s saw service with the RAF, it was the last true Swift variant to enter service, although, fourteen F.7s were produced, but they were only used as 'test' aircraft.
There were plans to produce a totally photographic reconnaissance version, the PR.6 (XD143). However, it was a short-lived program due to ever-present reheat problems. By the early 1960's, the Swift was being replaced by the Hunter FR.10.

f1s-56sqn.v1.jpg

(Swift F.1s of 56 squadron in 1954)

Comparison with other variants:

Image result for supermarine swift blueprint

Spoiler

Cockpit:

Spoiler

wat.png

omae+wa+mou+shindeiru.png

da.png

Internal Components:

Spoiler

nani.png

Image result for supermarine swift cutaway

Specifications

Image result for supermarine swift f.1

Spoiler

Supermarine Swift F.1 & Supermarine Swift F.2

Image result for swift f.1 blueprint

General Characteristics

First flight: 25th of August, 1952

Number built: 20

Crew: One

Length: 12.6 meters (41 ft 5.5 in)

Height: 3.81 meters (12 ft 6 in)

Wingspan: 9.85 meters (32 ft 4 in)

Wing area: 28.4 square meters (306 square ft)

Powerplant: Rolls-Royce AVON RA7 (7,500 lbs of thrust)

Empty weight:

• Swift F.1: 11,892 lbs (5,394 kg) 
  • Swift F.2: 13,136 lbs (5,958 kg) 

Combat weight:

• Swift F.1: N/A
  • Swift F.2: 17,500 lbs (7,937.8665 kg)

Max. takeoff weight:

• Swift F.1: 15,800 lbs (7,166 kg)
  • Swift F.2: 19,764 lbs (8,964.7996 kg)

Powerplant: Rolls-Royce AVON RA7 generating 3,401.943 kgf of thrust (7,500 lbf)

Performance

Maximum speed: 1,060 km/h (660 mph) at sea level

Rate of climb: 62.5 m/s (205 ft/s) (with normal fuel load), 31.6 m/s (173.8 ft/s) (max fuel load: 466 gallons) 

Stall speed: 295 km/h (161 mph, 139 knots)

Stall speed (gear and flaps down): 241 kph (150 mph, 130 knots)

IAS limit: 1,130 km/h (702 mph, 610 knots)

Mach limit: 0.9 

Landing speed: 278 km/h (172 mph, 150 knots)

Max. landing gear limit: 463 kph (288 mph, 250 knots)

Turn time: 24-25 secs (rough estimation, do not take it for granted)

Service ceiling: 13,868 meters (45,500 ft)

Range: 1,174 km (730 miles)

Wing loading:

• Empty weight: (Swift F.1): 189.929577 kg/m2 (38.9 lb. sq ft2)
  • Empty weight (Swift F.2): 209.788732 kg/m2 (42.97 lb. sq ft2)
  • Combat weight (Swift F.1): N/A
  • Combat weight (Swift F.2): 279.502342 kg/m2 (57.25 lb. sq ft2)
  • Max. takeoff weight (Swift F.1): 281.091549 kg/m2 (57.57 lb. sq ft2)
  • Max. takeoff weight (Swift F.2): 315.661958 kg/m2 (64.65 lb. sq ft2)

Thrust/weight ratio:

• Empty weight (Swift F.1): 0.63
  • Empty weight (Swift F.2): 0.57
  • Combat weight (Swift F.1): N/A
  • Combat weight (Swift F.2): 0.43
  • Max. takeoff weight (Swift F.1): 0.47
  • Max. takeoff weight (Swift F.2): 0.38

Positive G limit: 6.6

Armament

Guns:

• 2 x 30mm ADEN revolver cannons (200 rpg, 400 rounds in total) (Swift F.1) 
  • 4 x 30mm ADEN revolver cannons (150 rpg, 600 rounds in total) (Swift F.2)

Other: 8 x RP-3 unguided rockets (Swift F.2)

2 x 1,000 lbs of bombs (Swift F.1 & F.2)

Related image

I could only find 1 source for the Swift F.1's stats specifically, all of the other websites talk about the Swift FR Mk 5 and Mk 5.

Also, by some calculations, it was found that the Swift F.1 would be able to out-turn Sabres and G.91s. So it's roughly 24-25 seconds.

I really hope to see this jet in the game with the stats above. Britain needs another sweet top tier jets as the only one they have is the Hunter F.1 :salute: 

Supermarine Swift F.1/F.2 Aircraft Manual

Sources/References

http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/swift/history.php (stats)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermarine_Swift (introduction)

https://www.airrecce.co.uk/postww2/ac/Swift/Swift.html (stats)

http://naca.central.cranfield.ac.uk/reports/arc/rm/3078.pdf (stats)

http://www.altimit.co.uk/10swf/swift/swiftstats.png (stats)

Pilot's Notes Swift F.1 & F.2 in November, 1954

(Warpaint Series N.58) Supermarine Swift and Type 535 by Tony Butler

For much more detail and more valid statistics (in case I got some wrong), click on the link that leads to the manual!

-EpicBlitzkrieg87

Edited by EpicBlitzkrieg87
  • Upvote 21
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

55 minutes ago, blakeob said:

Open for discussion. :salute:

I am fairly certain this has been suggested before, or I've seen a lot of it elsewhere. I'll leave it up for the time being.

Thanks! And yes there is, but it's a really old thread it was probably dropped long ago. And maybe it wasn't suggested in the suggestion forum.

Beautiful plane for the British tree, Good for top tier gameplay.

Definitely a yes from me good job :good:

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal

only 2 days after McChickenBites does a video on the "Superswift Marine" Mk.1 :P huh. dis es no coincidence!

i'm totally for this. this plane is also a prime example of 8.7 BR. it's not quite up to snuff with the true top dogs (dat climb rate tho), but far too powerful against 7.Xs.

+1

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

3 hours ago, Admiral_Aruon said:

only 2 days after McChickenBites does a video on the "Superswift Marine" Mk.1 :P huh. dis es no coincidence!

Actually it's not a coincidence at all :) His video inspired me to write this suggestion, I really love that plane 

4 hours ago, _EQUAI_ said:

Beautiful plane for the British tree, Good for top tier gameplay.

Definitely a yes from me good job :good:

Thanks :D  At first I wanted to add several fuel loadouts in order to have the climb rate go up to 53 m/s by asking Gaijin to add extra 1,800 lbs to the original weight (15,800 lbs) but I wasn't permitted to. But I'm certain if it comes to the game, minimum fuel (8 minutes or whatever it will be) the climb rate would go up, like the Hunter's 60 m/s with 5 minutes.

+1. I think it'll do just fine in the game as long as it's added in correctly and not with any wrong Battle Ratings or something.

4 hours ago, ThunderShocker said:

+1 lets just hope they do add this into the tree, but here's my question will the supermarine swift be placed at the very end of the spitfire line or will it be placed in between the meteors somewhere?

TBH the best placement disregarding BR would be before the Hunter.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

7 hours ago, ThunderShocker said:

+1 lets just hope they do add this into the tree, but here's my question will the supermarine swift be placed at the very end of the spitfire line or will it be placed in between the meteors somewhere?

At the very end of the Spitfire lineup, due to its better and more top tier-ish performance than the Meteor Mk 8

2 hours ago, Admiral_Aruon said:

TBH the best placement disregarding BR would be before the Hunter.

It's best at the end of the Spitfire lineup so that players have the incentive to complete that line and since it's the "Supermarine line", the Swift was developed and designed by Supermarine

Edited by EpicBlitzkrieg87
  • Upvote 3

After the Meteors because it is pretty much the Spitfire line and as it was the next one created by Supermarine for the RAF it should be in the same line.

medal

6 hours ago, Capt_Palmtree said:

After the Meteors because it is pretty much the Spitfire line and as it was the next one created by Supermarine for the RAF it should be in the same line.

Yup, and it would give an incentive for anybody to go down the Spitfire line and complete it

• Upvote 1

There are too many steps in the meteor tree for them not to compress it and add the Swift

medal

As I said long ago. Should have put the Meteors in the Hawker line since Gloster was owned by Hawker, so they can put this dumpster fire at the end of the Supermarine line. 

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

7 minutes ago, Blitzkrieguk said:

As I said long ago. Should have put the Meteors in the Hawker line since Gloster was owned by Hawker, so they can put this dumpster fire at the end of the Supermarine line. 

Dumpster fire?

medal medal medal medal