Super M60AX - The Final Patton Tank

*AceArchangel

Super M60  

314 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see the Super M60 added into War Thunder?

• Yes
    • Yes, but only with similar vehicles for other nations.
    • No (explain below)

Hello again!

super_m60.jpg

Today I would like to make a suggestion for all new American Tier VI tank, of course this suggestion follows suit with the MBT-70 as a prototype, although it is well within the games limitations and the features of this tank are too good to pass up on. The Super M60 (Super 60) officially designated M60AX was a late modification of the Battle hardened M60 platform the A3 model to be exact and was to be a sort of final Patton design, it was to make the current M60 platform capable of dealing with its more modern counterparts. The Super M60 was a program from the early 1980's and the vehicle itself carried with it many updates including to the old M60s, a new V12 diesel engine rated at 1,180 hp, a new automatic transmission with 4 forward and 4 reverse gears, combined they bumped the Super M60 to a power to weight ratio of 21.53hp/tonne with a maximum top speed of 72 km/h! It also had a new smoother hydropneumatic strut suspension system (non variable), the upgraded 105mm/L52 M68A1 gun, the internal 7.62mm M73 MG was replaced with a 7.62mm M240C (same number of ammunition), the top mounted 12.7mm HMG was slightly changed to it's manually fired variant (not represented in game). The electronics on board were exactly the same as the M60A3 with its newer range finder, thermal imaging and ballistics computer system (again not represented in game).

Front/Right Side View

Spoiler

super_m60_l1.jpg

Although the absolute largest addition is the all new armour layout, the original turret has been encased in a new applique composite spaced armour, making far more angular and less rounded, A new layer of laminated steel (possibly composite spaced armour) was also added to the front of the tank as well giving it a far more sleek and angled slope. Extra steel was also placed on the top and read of the vehicle as well as new side skirt plating with spall lining, some of the armour values are hard to find, but this is the story with many tanks like the MBT-70/KPz-70/Ru-251/Type 87 SPAAG. With a completed plan and one prototype being produced, the vehicle update was ultimately a failure, the necessity for such vehicle was non existent, the M1 Abrams program was complete and the need for another M60 was not viewed positively by the US military, there also were no foreign buyers of this package for what ever reason.

Super M60 Undergoing Trial Testing

Spoiler

super_m60_l2.jpg

Additional Turret Armour Information Provided By @RefrigerRaider

Spoiler

HMvnd37.png

According to the information displayed above the Turret had a Spaced Armour equivalent of about ~406mm of RHA at what appears to be 30 degrees slope, with the front hull equalling to approximately 368mm of RHA at a UFP slope of about 73 degrees and LFP slope of about 45 degrees.

Specifications

Spoiler

Crew: 4 men

Weight: 56.3 t

Length (gun forward): 9.5 m

Hull length: 7.09 m

Width: 4.19 m

Height: 2.92 m

Armament

Main gun: 105-mm rifled

Machine guns : 1 x 12.7mm, 1 x 7.62mm

Elevation range: -10 to + 20 degrees

Traverse range: 360 degrees

Ammunition

Main gun: 63 rounds

Machine guns: ~ 600 x 12.7, 6 000 x 7.62-mm

Types: APFSDS / HEAT / HE / HESH / APERS / WP rounds (not all represented in game)

Mobility

Engine: Teledyne Continental CR-1790-1B diesel

Engine power: 1,180 hp

Maximum road speed: 72 km/h

Range: ~ 500 km

Maneuverability

Gradient: 60%

Side slope: 30%

Vertical step: 0.9 m

Trench: 2.6 m

Fording: 1.2 m

This would make a great final tank to the Patton line as well as a fine addition to the US Tier VI 8.7 meta, the vehicle was produced and tested and fits in the games limitations (about the same year produced as the Chieftain Mk.10 in game), I could only see this tank being 8.7 (or in line with all other Tier VI vehicles) for its BR as it does have far more advantages than that of the standard M60s currently in game. What do you guys think? Be sure to let everyone know in the poll!

Additional Photos And Information

Spoiler

1402695429-m60ax-3.png

1402695163-m60ax-1.png

g9TmGwM.jpg

References

Edited by *AceArchangel
Edits marked in green text
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 22
medal medal medal medal medal medal

HMvnd37.png

This is a cutout from RP Hunnicutts book on the Patton. It mentions the Super M60 briefly and this diagram is the only thing that shows to some degree the layout of the Super M60's armor.

The Super M60 is official designated as M60AX

• Thanks 1
medal medal medal

Just now, RefrigerRaider said:

HMvnd37.png

This is a cutout from RP Hunnicutts book on the Patton. It mentions the Super M60 briefly and this diagram is the only thing that shows to some degree the layout of the Super M60's armor.

The Super M60 is official designated as M60AX

Oh, this is an absolutely great information contribution I will definitely add this into the main post, many thanks!

ok this is badass as all hell. suped up, turbo buffed, hyper beast mode Super 60 is a much better tank than the M60A1 RISE, and a true top tier M60. and it also helps that the actual M60A3 was passed to devs prior to the 1.71 announcement so the tank that this is modified from may see light soon- and this one possibly behind it.

+1

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

+1

one could give the Germans the Super M48.... :thinking:

Edited by dotEXCEL
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

1 hour ago, XDrake991 said:

+1

or the M48A2GA2 with the 105mm L7 gun of the Leopard 1

http://www.military-today.com/tanks/super_m48.htm

The Super M48 was an attempt at a comprehensive upgrade package for the M48 Patton series of medium tanks. It was based on Krauss Maffei and Wegmann's M48A2GA2 upgrade, of which 650 were purchased by West Germany.

:thinking:

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Its interesting and I would not mind seeing it even though I would prefer the M60T that Turkey procured from Israel that has the 120mm. 

But this one is nice too so +1

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

2 hours ago, P8triot said:

Its interesting and I would not mind seeing it even though I would prefer the M60T that Turkey procured from Israel that has the 120mm. 

or maybe M60 2000 ? ;)

1401786550-tumblr-mgwkkmroxc1rlrdk6o1-12

M60 hull with additional composite armor + M1A1 turret ;) 

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

12 minutes ago, swpixy said:

That always reminds me of this:

Hide contents

38ada725b33b%5B1%5D-700x282.jpg

"We got this new turret,but we need to get it to the firing range for testing somehow"

"Lets just bolt it to one of our old M48s"

:)

M60 2000 was an upgrade option for good old M60

Something tells me that is some point all can reach game...

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

somebody wants to do a suggestion for the M60-2000 or the M48-Leo-2?

17 minutes ago, ganJ said:

you have no idea dude :DD we will reach new horizons xD

44 minutes ago, ganJ said:

or maybe M60 2000 ? ;)

that was an offering made but I am unaware of any nation actually doing it.   Whereas the M60T was implemented and was part of Turkish armor force starting in 2007

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

4 hours ago, P8triot said:

The M60T is definitely a cool vehicle and would be great in game but as it was a foreign only modification, I know other vehicles have done this in game IIRC, although because it is rank VI I don't know what restrictions there are for main line tanks. If they would though that would be absolutely amazing!

1 hour ago, ganJ said:

Definitely a little far reaching but not out of question, as we do have the Chieftain Mk.10 from the mid 1980s in game now.

6 hours ago, XDrake991 said:

+1

or the M48A2GA2 with the 105mm L7 gun of the Leopard 1

See just below about the M48A2GA2.

5 hours ago, dotEXCEL said:

I actually did make the suggestion for the M48A2GA2, it seems to have gotten a little buried If you would like to show your support you can leave a reply and take part in the poll here:

2 hours ago, ganJ said:

or maybe M60 2000 ? ;)

you know, i could totally see gaijin doing that. add in a vehicle that has the Abrams turret... then eventually add in a vehicle that uses a modified abrams chassis, then be like "well we might as well...".

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

30 minutes ago, *AceArchangel said:

Definitely a little far reaching but not out of question, as we do have the Chieftain Mk.10 from the mid 1980s in game now.

well we have 2 Leo 2 suggestions open and a Leo1 with 120mm went passed to dev.... it would be worth a try :good:

30 minutes ago, *AceArchangel said:

i was talking about the Super M48 not the A2GA2... i know that there is a suggestion for it, i even linked you pics of the gun-mantlet xD

Edited by dotEXCEL

8 minutes ago, dotEXCEL said:

well we have 2 Leo 2 suggestions open and a Leo1 with 120mm went passed to dev.... it would be worth a try :good:

Oh most definitely worth a shot, like you said there are two Leopard 2 posts in further discussion along with two early M1 Abrams prototypes.

8 minutes ago, dotEXCEL said:

i was talking about the Super M48 not the A2GA2... i know that there is a suggestion for it, i even linked you pics of the gun-mantlet xD

Right sorry my bad, and again thanks for those pics of the mantlet