Super M60AX - The Final Patton Tank

*AceArchangel

Super M60  

314 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see the Super M60 added into War Thunder?

• Yes
    • Yes, but only with similar vehicles for other nations.
    • No (explain below)

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 7:49 PM, RefrigerRaider said:

HMvnd37.png

This is a cutout from RP Hunnicutts book on the Patton. It mentions the Super M60 briefly and this diagram is the only thing that shows to some degree the layout of the Super M60's armor.

The Super M60 is official designated as M60AX

Thanks for posting this^^ :good:

Full Hunnicutt M60 book: https://vk.com/doc-20674223_437179592?hash=6a7ec5ace9b1a3a945&dl=48ff2e98730e745c8d

medal medal medal

Put it after the RISE and profit? +1

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, IOC_000 said:

Step 1: Add M60AX 

Step 2 

Step 3: Profit! 

Anyway, sure there’s info on this tank, and it looks cool, but it still doesn’t say what the “composite module” is made of, and we can’t assume it’s composition either. The reason the T-64A was added is because we know what’s in the layers, but the same cannot be said for this, the M1, the Challenger, Leopard 2, etc. etc. 

I don’t have high hopes. 

Edited by xX_Lord_James_Xx

1 hour ago, xX_Lord_James_Xx said:

Step 2 

Anyway, sure there’s info on this tank, and it looks cool, but it still doesn’t say what the “composite module” is made of, and we can’t assume it’s composition either. The reason the T-64A was added is because we know what’s in the layers, but the same cannot be said for this, the M1, the Challenger, Leopard 2, etc. etc. 

I don’t have high hopes. 

also its a patton

gaijin aint good with pattons

medal

1 hour ago, xX_Lord_James_Xx said:

Step 2 

I don’t have high hopes. 

Though unlike the latter I doubt these modules would be classified;but yeah unless someone does some digging and finds the composition of the composites this tank is not happening.

15 hours ago, IOC_000 said:

Sure, why not*? :vanga::dntknw:

US: M60A2 Starship @ 8.3 >>> M60A1 RISE Passive (infrared searchlight, passive night vision, and add-on ERA) @ 8.7 >>>  M60AX Super Patton (composite M60A3 with hydropneumatic suspension) @ 9.3 >>> M60A3 TTS/SLEP (modernized M60A3 with improved electric drives for faster turret/traverse/elevation rate, add-on glacis & skirt armor, laser rangefinder/crosswind sensor, M21 ballistic computer, AN/VSG-2 thermal imaging sights, gunner/loader's digital fire-control unit, 950hp engine, and 120mm M256 L/44 gun) @ 9.3 >>> MBT-70 @ 10.0-10.3 >>> XM803 @ 10.0-10.3 >>> XM815/XM1 (General Motors) @ 10.7 >>> XM815/XM1 (Chrysler) @ 10.7 >>> 105mm M1 Abrams @ 11.0

*on a 0.0-11.0 BR scale

medal medal medal

That's probably getting rather ambitious, considering we don't seem to have data available for the M60AX's "composite module", let alone the composites on any of the M1 variants, nor do we have good data on the 120mm L/44 ammunition (that would be super OP anyway). 

• Upvote 1
medal medal

39 minutes ago, muzzleflash98 said:

That's probably getting rather ambitious, considering we don't seem to have data available for the M60AX's "composite module", let alone the composites on any of the M1 variants, nor do we have good data on the 120mm L/44 ammunition (that would be super OP anyway). 

:facepalm:

We have a litany of estimates, the internal layout and thicknesses of the M1 Abrams. We have even more information (size, design,trajectory, accuracy, velocity curves,etc.) on the DM13 and DM12 rounds for the 120 mm L44.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

55 minutes ago, Laviduce said:

:facepalm:

We have a litany of estimates, the internal layout and thicknesses of the M1 Abrams. We have even more information (size, design,trajectory, accuracy, velocity curves,etc.) on the DM13 and DM12 rounds for the 120 mm L44.

Estimates that vary widely and cannot be confirmed or denied by primary sources; I can look at the M60AX and the CE vs KE protection and lead myself to believe that the modules are fibreglass batting sandwiched between RHA or Ceramic. Without primary sources I would never actually know; this is what everyone is missing. All estimate's are not created equally; especially for modern tanks with significant differences between variants and export models. Plus methodology is unknown for most of them; this means we have no way to confirm them ourselves.

So we have numbers gathered without a consistent method; plus no facts to compare to. As far as I'm concerned they are fairytales until shown to be accurate.

9 hours ago, IOC_000 said:

Estimates that vary widely and cannot be confirmed or denied by primary sources; I can look at the M60AX and the CE vs KE protection and lead myself to believe that the modules are fibreglass batting sandwiched between RHA or Ceramic. Without primary sources I would never actually know; this is what everyone is missing. All estimate's are not created equally; especially for modern tanks with significant differences between variants and export models. Plus methodology is unknown for most of them; this means we have no way to confirm them ourselves.

So we have numbers gathered without a consistent method; plus no facts to compare to. As far as I'm concerned they are fairytales until shown to be accurate.

The estimates do not vary widely and can be confirmed from various sources.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Laviduce said:

We have even more information (size, design,trajectory, accuracy, velocity curves,etc.) on the DM13 and DM12 rounds for the 120 mm L44.

The US didn’t use DM13 though, we used M829... which is more powerful. 

4 hours ago, Laviduce said:

So can you show us how they can be confirmed? And the "various sources" used to do so? Because I remember the Leo 2 discussion (with someone else, not you) that went:

"I have the documents, I just can't show them to you."

"Then what good are they if you can't show them to us or the devs?"

"But I have the documents."

And please don't spam a bunch of computer models showing the volume of the armor, because that's really not very helpful information.

• Upvote 2
medal medal

2 hours ago, muzzleflash98 said:

So can you show us how they can be confirmed? And the "various sources" used to do so? Because I remember the Leo 2 discussion (with someone else, not you) that went:

"I have the documents, I just can't show them to you."

"Then what good are they if you can't show them to us or the devs?"

"But I have the documents."

And please don't spam a bunch of computer models showing the volume of the armor, because that's really not very helpful information.

I listed them in the M1 thread. Knowing the volume, dimensions and mass of composite array bays might not be the most useful information but it can help establish protection estimates.

Edited by Laviduce

1 hour ago, Laviduce said:

I listed them in the M1 thread. Knowing the volume, dimensions and mass of composite array bays might not be the most useful information but it can help establish protection estimates.

Maybe we're thinking of different M1 threads.

In this one the only decent data is this extremely general chart: (KE on the left, CE on the right)

Spoiler

59d764e0ca8d4_T-72AndAbProtection-Copy(2

That's not exactly... detailed. And as was explained in that thread, it doesn't take into account how different types of sabot interact with composite arrays.

• Thanks 1
medal medal

16 hours ago, Laviduce said:

This is the issue; without primary sources (schematics, testing data on a range etc.) this statement cannot be proven true.

10 hours ago, Laviduce said:

Do you know the exact materials that would be in those bays? nope.

Those are decent Guesses; that i will give you. i enjoyed reading the thread but it still comes down to the fact that it's all speculation at this point; until there are actual proven facts about these materials calling them estimates is misleading at best.

if it was intended for export, it aint classified information. someones mustve got that info somewhere, and hunnicutt was able to get the armor information because it was not classified.

medal medal medal

34 minutes ago, RefrigerRaider said:

if it was intended for export, it aint classified information. someones mustve got that info somewhere, and hunnicutt was able to get the armor information because it was not classified.

So Kuwait would give me the schematics for their M1A1 if i said please, thank you and had enough cash? In the past the US avoided exporting classified materials; now though? We do it all the time; F-15,F-35 M1A1 etc. All have been given to other countries with classified materials at some point.

Though this discussion is becoming somewhat irrelevent for the M60AX; which i would hardly be surprised if hunnicutt had the documents still. This is a vehicle that was a stopgap and intended to be economic; i seriously doubt they bolted on NERA arrays and composite blocks.

2 hours ago, RefrigerRaider said:

It was a private venture by Teledyne-Continental Motors. So they probably have the information. But whatever was in the "composite modules" was either a simple silica based armor or it's classified (probably the former). And just because something is made for export certainly doesn't mean it isn't classified.

medal medal

11 hours ago, RefrigerRaider said:

then wheres the type 90-II's armor layout

wheres the m1a1 armor layout in use by multiple arab nations such as saudi arabia and morocco

why dont we have the strv 122's armor layout

why is the leopard 2e's armor layout still hard to find

wheres the cr 1s armor layout from the jordanians

wheres the t-90s armor layout from the indians

it dont work that way my friendly pal sonny boy

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
medal

1 hour ago, Nope said:

then wheres the type 90-II's armor layout

wheres the m1a1 armor layout in use by multiple arab nations such as saudi arabia and morocco

why dont we have the strv 122's armor layout

why is the leopard 2e's armor layout still hard to find

wheres the cr 1s armor layout from the jordanians

wheres the t-90s armor layout from the indians

it dont work that way my friendly pal sonny boy

Spoiler

image.jpg
had to be, sry xD

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

2 hours ago, dotEXCEL said:
  Hide contents

image.jpg
had to be, sry xD

Just say nope to Nope!

Here are some revelations:

Abrams:

Spoiler

5a734a2b2d984_M1A1HAtypeIIarmour(crewcom

Spoiler

5a734a2e1086b_M1A1HAtypeIarmour.png.d31d

Spoiler
Spoiler

m1a1bo10.jpg.6bc59ad5a3e4c74d190f34b702f

Spoiler

armorarraysideofcrewcom.jpg.7af1ae5396af

Type-96 like vehicle:

Spoiler

main-qimg-bc1f6b19b7cca8637c6ccb1e7bcf56

T-XX:

Spoiler

UCVojM7.jpg.be38dc1d1fea7f582a8749de6d9e

Spoiler

T72M1M_turret_armor.thumb.jpg.f689b12164

Spoiler

etfz0z.jpg.2e14fee46b351a4eec19ca75c7609

Spoiler

5a734cc66b9f8_T-90AT-84..jpg.85f701785fb

Spoiler

t90aj.jpg.9ff7b8129efcc5241b598cdaff1a9d

Spoiler

xB7oS.jpg.c686e9decb1d31167815b65532347a

I have more!

• Thanks 2

Some of those pictures are somewhat useful, as they establish a decent idea of the design of the M1A1's armor, which is very likely to be somewhat different than that of the original M1. 

But wow! such revelations! The M1 has armor made up of multiple layers!!! /s

53 minutes ago, Laviduce said:

I have more!

We're all well aware, they get dumped into threads all too frequently. There's still no solid data on what any of those layers consist of, or even how thick they are!

medal medal