Eurofighter Typhoon - Germany's Best Fighter Jet

Faster_Boiiiii

Best answer

i think the Meteor also deserves its own post as the primary long range weaponry of the 3 Eurocanards but I haven't really looked into that too much yet so I'm lacking sources.

@MBDA_Meteor  do you have any to share?

12 minutes ago, _Iluminas_ said:

Just a Question dose the AMK kit include the thrustvector engines?

Dose anyone know

It doesn't. No website that mentions AMK mentions thrust-vectoring engines.

But still;

"We saw angle of attack values around 45% greater than on the standard aircraft, and roll rates up to 100% higher, all leading to increased agility. The handling qualities appeared to be markedly improved, providing more manoeuvrability, agility and precision while performing tasks representative of in-service operations."

https://www.airforce-technology.com/news/newsairbus-completes-flight-testing-aerodynamic-upgrades-eurofighter-typhoon-4625469/

medal medal

17 minutes ago, Holouu said:

It doesn't. No website that mentions AMK mentions thrust-vectoring engines.

But still;

"We saw angle of attack values around 45% greater than on the standard aircraft, and roll rates up to 100% higher, all leading to increased agility. The handling qualities appeared to be markedly improved, providing more manoeuvrability, agility and precision while performing tasks representative of in-service operations."

https://www.airforce-technology.com/news/newsairbus-completes-flight-testing-aerodynamic-upgrades-eurofighter-typhoon-4625469/

yes if that is without the thrust-vectoring engines its amazing

also intresting find IPA 7 with tripple Brimstone

Lmaqe29.jpeg

and a 4x4 AA loadout

1270586-80654775de580897d9b52e4a8c06c6e1

Edited by _Iluminas_
  • Like 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

5 hours ago, SPANISH_AVENGER said:

How can people be hyping up about Eurofighter already? I doubt it's coming anytime soon.

I doubt anybody here expects Eurofighter to come soon, except maybe the DA1 / DA2 prototypes with Mk.104E engines

2 hours ago, _Iluminas_ said:

and a 4x4 AA loadout

And a 4+2+2 AA loadout

https://imgr1.flugrevue.de/Die-Eurofighter-der-Luftwaffe-werden-mit-der-Meteor-Luft-Luft-Lenkwaffe-ausgeruestet--169FullWidth-2150fb37-1820319.jpg

Funnily enough with an AIM-120B, not even a later model

Say, does anyone know if the inner wing pylons (3,4,10,11) can carry additional air-air armament?

medal

4 hours ago, BagelIsMyWaifu said:

Say, does anyone know if the inner wing pylons (3,4,10,11) can carry additional air-air armament?

Every wing pylon except the most outer ones that can only do SRAAM, all other pylons can carry AMRAAM and SRAAM there are even pictures of double rails for both.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

8 hours ago, _Iluminas_ said:

Just a Question dose the AMK kit include the thrustvector engines?

Dose anyone know

nope. the AMK is purely for the aerodynamics

4282689.jpg?v=v47849172292&f=1&nofb=1&ip

2696198.jpg?v=v40&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=4f84272

the 98+07 is the IPA7 and is the Eurofighter that was used for this development. you can see the wing root extensions at the front near the intakes and modifications to the flaperons. It retains the EJ200 engine.

Not quite sure about this but the TVCU seems to be a modification that can be added to any EJ200.

Small sidenote: the EJ230 is NUTS. The goal apparently is to reach 103kN of thrust with afterburner and 72kN dry... according to this one article here there are(or were) plans to have a 2nd stage development of this engine to reach 120kN of thrust but thats just crazy and i can't find good sources for it

3dtvc-action.jpg

here's a picture of the TVCU on an EJ200(from like 1998 or something)

I'm gonna try to find out more about the TVCed version of the EJ200.

here are some pictures from Eurojet themselves https://www.eurojet.de/media/#galleries

Edited by Faster_Boiiiii
medal

25 minutes ago, Faster_Boiiiii said:

Small sidenote: the EJ230 is NUTS. The goal apparently is to reach 103kN of thrust with afterburner and 72kN dry... according to this one article here there are(or were) plans to have a 2nd stage development of this engine to reach 120kN of thrust but thats just crazy and i can't find good sources for it

What's the source for those numbers? 103 kn translates to 23,155 lbf, but the MTU and EuroJet datasheet for the engine state it has 20,000 lbf of thrust.

medal medal medal medal medal

Just now, Flame2512 said:

What's the source for those numbers? 103 kn translates to 23,155 lbf, but the MTU and EuroJet datasheet for the engine state it has 20,000 lbf of thrust.

there's nothing more than this one article(https://web.archive.org/web/20100731153302/http://typhoon.starstreak.net/Eurofighter/engines.html) so please dont take this as 'facts'. its said to be an upgrade, not the current version of the EJ200 which, as you said, is 90kN or 20000lbf https://www.eurojet.de/wp-content/uploads/EUJ_Factsheet_A4_Ansicht.pdf

medal

5 minutes ago, Faster_Boiiiii said:

there's nothing more than this one article(https://web.archive.org/web/20100731153302/http://typhoon.starstreak.net/Eurofighter/engines.html) so please dont take this as 'facts'. its said to be an upgrade, not the current version of the EJ200 which, as you said, is 90kN or 20000lbf https://www.eurojet.de/wp-content/uploads/EUJ_Factsheet_A4_Ansicht.pdf

My bad, misread EJ230 in your comment as EJ200

medal medal medal medal medal

Just now, Flame2512 said:

My bad, misread EJ230 in your comment as EJ200

Ah

well it is a little confusing. Some, especially older, sources call it the EJ2x0, others and often newer sources call it the EJ230 so its kind of annoying to look through.

I have found some documents about the TVC concept for the EJ200, will share later

medal

7 hours ago, BagelIsMyWaifu said:

I doubt anybody here expects Eurofighter to come soon, except maybe the DA1 / DA2 prototypes with Mk.104E engines

And a 4+2+2 AA loadout

https://imgr1.flugrevue.de/Die-Eurofighter-der-Luftwaffe-werden-mit-der-Meteor-Luft-Luft-Lenkwaffe-ausgeruestet--169FullWidth-2150fb37-1820319.jpg

Funnily enough with an AIM-120B, not even a later model

Every pylon can carry one, infact I think some can carry double loads of meteor.

cKJ4utF.jpg

Ok so I did some digging. So here are some short summaries, you can find the sources via google, typically on web.archive.org. if you cant, ask me, i have them in google drive.

The nozzle of the EJ200 is produced by ITP Aero(Spanish company) and they're also the ones who developed the TVC version/upgrade in partnership with MTU Aero Engines(German company, so probably more related to this post than one for the British or Italian ones :P ). It uses a 3 ring system to steer the paddles. The use of this thrust vectoring version of the EJ200 supposedly increases not only the Eurofighter's turning and takeoff-performance but also its cruise/supercruise performance due to having a lower drag(the overall diameter of the nozzle is smaller) and producing less drag when used for trimming of the aircraft("THRUST VECTORING SYSTEM CONTROL CONCEPT" - ITP Aero). This source states a maximum angle of 23.5° with partial reheat, a maximum slew rate of 110°/s and a maximum lateral force of 20kN.

Thrust vectoring benefits can be grouped in four categories. 

1. Enhanced performance in conventional flight

Thrust vectoring allows for stationary flight trimming without or with less use of aerodynamic surfaces which introduce drag. Its said to reduce the fuel consumption by 3%, increase thrust by 7%(as mentioned before, its due to lower drag of the engine nozzle and better nozzle control), increase load factor and turn rate by 9% and increase the lift coefficient by 14%.

2. Post stall fight

This one's quite obvious. Vectored thrust allows the aircraft, at least in theory, to maneuver at 0 airspeed. This would also allow the aircraft do do whats called an ESTOL or Extremely Short Take-Off and landing.

3. Increased safety

Thrust vectoring adds redundancy to the aircraft's flight controls meaning that even with failing aerodynamic surfaces, its more likely to not crash.

4. Reduction of aero controls

As mentioned before, aerodynamic surfaces can be used less for trimming. Additionally, the size and amount of aerodynamic surfaces can also be reduced. This would result in a lower mass, drag and radar cross section of the aircraft.

("Thrust Vectoring Nozzle for Modern Military Aircraft" - ITP Aero, 'MP-051-PSF-11')

The potential 103kN of thrust by the EJ200 is due to its requirement of having a built in thrust growth potential of 15%. 90kN * 1.15 = 103.5kN

("Design of a new Fighter Engine - a dream in an engine man's life" - MTU, '24MP-008-02')

More info about the thrust vectoring can be found in "Integrated Thrust Vectored Engine Control" - MTU, 'MP-051-PSF-12'

Thrust vectored delta canard information(X-31) "Aerodynamic Model Extension and Validation of a Thrust Vectored Delta-Canard Configuration" - Insitute of Flight Mechanics, '24MP-011-19'

General article about the Eurofighter(appears to be during the development phase) "Recent Experiences on Aerodynamic Parameter Identification for EUROFIGHTER at Alenia, British Aerospace, CASA and Daimler-Benz Aerospace" - Multiple authors(Renzo Bava, Graham T. Hoare, Gabriel Garcia-Mesuro, Hans-Christoph Oelker), 'MP-011-12'

I didnt include all the details so if you want to know more, you can read the articles yourself. These are not manuals, they're articles published by NATO to the public(except for that first one lol)

here is a video showing the advanced nozzle control which allows the thrust to be maximized

this video shows the thrust vectoring

Edited by Faster_Boiiiii
medal

44 minutes ago, Fireball_2020 said:

Every pylon can carry one, infact I think some can carry double loads of meteor.

So with double IRIS on pylon 2 and 12, that leaves the Eurofighter with ... TWELVE Meteors

Thats just insane. With Meteor Eurofighter has a range advantage over EVERY other fighter, with Captor-E you can beam like nothing thanks to its ±100° azimuth rate, even enter a notch while still holding contact and even if a missile gets through the MAWS can just assign an IRIS-T to it and shoot it down. I honestly cant think of a tactic to fight it even with stuff like F-22 or F-35 ... thats so insane

55 minutes ago, Fireball_2020 said:

Oh here is also a bigger image of that

Spoiler

https://media.licdn.com/dms/image/C4D22AQHq53kquIcFig/feedshare-shrink_2048_1536/0/1616058901612?e=1676505600&v=beta&t=B-vuY0tt3i8XIg6K9WKdLHX1e4rhStQ39yD7RDwThNM

medal

2 hours ago, Faster_Boiiiii said:

2 hours ago, Faster_Boiiiii said:

snip

sadly no nation looks interested in the TVSC though i get it as the maintanance would rise

here another website about the Eurofighter its in german though

http://eurofighter.airpower.at/geschichte-konzept.htm

and a forum as it looks there are even some pilots there (also german)

https://www.flugzeugforum.de/threads/eurofighter-technik-daten-news.29778/

16 minutes ago, _Iluminas_ said:

sadly no nation looks interested in the TVSC though i get it as the maintanance would rise

yeah i would guess that something like the AMK is much more viable for an increase in performance than TVC. i also dont really see a point in just installing TVC without the AMK as the FCS would probably impose the same AoA, roll rate and G limits.

so if a nation was to decide that, for some outlandish reason, its not maneuverable enough, they'd probably prioritize the Aerodynamic Modification Kit over thrust vectoring

• Upvote 1
medal

On 12/01/2023 at 18:37, Holouu said:

Tranche 1 Block 5 Eurofighter would be comparable in weaponary superior to the current F-16A, as it'd have AIM-9Ls (maybe Li/Li-1s) and AIM-120s (not suer if B or C variants), and have far greater PWR and better radar and manouverability.

Tranche 2 Block 10 Eurofighter (using AIM-120C-5s) completely outclasses the F-16A MLU and would be more comparable to F-16C/D Block 52+ in its capabilites, albeit still better I'd say (not an expert tho - so for a detailed breakdown, refer to @Faster_Boiiiii ).

so what i'm hearing, is hypothetically if gaijin wanted to pull a J7E again we could possibly get a block 5 EF soon(ish)?

1 minute ago, MBDA_Meteor said:

Could someone please explain AMK to me in more detail? it is difficult for me to distinguish this.

Hide contents

Is AMK applied to this 30+66?

It looks like a wingroot sticking out.

the AMK is not applied to any production Eurofighter(like the 30+66 that you showed).

It was only tested on the 98+07 which is the IPA7 that Germany uses for weapons integration and further avionics testing.

take a look at these pictures

Spoiler

2745990.jpg?v=v40&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=41c2bf3

2696198.jpg?v=v40&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=b65c6f4

here is another picture of the leading edge root extension, not on the IPA7 though

1920px-EurofighterLEX2.jpg

you will likely be able to spot how far the leading edge goes forward, how the fuselage strakes(those small canard like things behind the foreplanes) have a different shape and where the flaperons were extended.

I will try to find some information on that small bump that you described because it seems to be present on some but not all Eurofighters and i dont know the difference off the top of my head.

medal

11 minutes ago, Faster_Boiiiii said:

the AMK is not applied to any production Eurofighter(like the 30+66 that you showed).

It was only tested on the 98+07 which is the IPA7 that Germany uses for weapons integration and further avionics testing.

take a look at these pictures

Reveal hidden contents

2745990.jpg?v=v40&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=41c2bf3

2696198.jpg?v=v40&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=b65c6f4

here is another picture of the leading edge root extension, not on the IPA7 though

1920px-EurofighterLEX2.jpg

you will likely be able to spot how far the leading edge goes forward, how the fuselage strakes(those small canard like things behind the foreplanes) have a different shape and where the flaperons were extended.

I will try to find some information on that small bump that you described because it seems to be present on some but not all Eurofighters and i dont know the difference off the top of my head.

Thanks!
I have one more question. Is PIRAT IRST detachable?
Although the AMK test of the IPA7 98+07 does not show an IRST, recent photos taken in ILA 2022 show that the AMK was removed and equipped with an IRST.

Spoiler

FJYea_JX0AQ4SD7.jpg.3eef17e92ed7b50a28e2

Edited by MBDA_Meteor
medal medal medal

35 minutes ago, MBDA_Meteor said:

Thanks!
I have one more question. Is PIRAT IRST detachable?
Although the AMK test of the IPA7 98+07 does not show an IRST, recent photos taken in ILA 2022 show that the AMK was removed and equipped with an IRST.

Reveal hidden contents

It is detachable as its a pretty modular aircraft

medal

Sorry guys, I have absolutely no idea what these wing root "extensions" are and which aircraft they're installed on

71118_eurofightersccrowncopyright_905357

it does not appear to be a difference between Tranches

GHL-080160.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=c1e9ff8e36

here's 2 Eurofighters one with that "extension"(the 30+29) and one without(the 30+30)...

medal

3 minutes ago, out_run_my_gun said:

I think those wing root extensions are only on the right wing, and it seems to be some sort of cover for the gun.

That's actually a very good assumption, I've went through multiple google searches and haven't been able to find a Eurofighter with said extension on the left wing.

medal medal

4 hours ago, out_run_my_gun said:

I think those wing root extensions are only on the right wing, and it seems to be some sort of cover for the gun.

you're right..

dont know how i missed that but thanks :)

9cc239266196213eced1b2df9453f83c.gif&f=1

at this timestamp you can see the cap thats installed for RCS reductions

Edited by Faster_Boiiiii
medal