Mitsubishi F-4EJ Kai Super Phantom

Miki_Hoshii

Best answer

Summary of arguments and rebuttals

Picture of the JDAM on the F-4EJ Kai?
it is just for display.

Is the ADTW's F-4EJ's new antenna is GPS antenna?
It's been installed since 1988, so that is not a GPS antenna.

A picture of the F-4EJ Kai with the XGCS-2?
Just performing aerodynamics and separation tests with dummy bomb, not real bomb.

F-4EJ Kai's GCS-1?
No ground attack ability due to seeker's performance

F-4EJ Kai's AGM-62 or AGM-65?
When producing the F-4EJ, all equipment was removed, and no functions were added even in EJ Kai.

17 hours ago, _David_Bowie_ said:

what is your sources? 航空自衛隊 F-4マニアックス explains AN/APG-66J was built on the basis on the AN/APG-66. 

AN/APG-66J is the add AIM-7 capability to AN/APG-66.

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.dd1fc87e813663c3aeb52e8f image.thumb.png.3b4147aaa6ff3d058ced35cc image.thumb.png.3b4147aaa6ff3d058ced35cc

From 航空自衛隊 F-4 マニアックス

F-4EJ改の空対空、空対地能力 

F-16は、段階的に空対空と空対地双方の戦闘能力を高める計画だったため、初期のAN/APG-66にはスパローの運用支援能力は備わっていなかった。航空自衛隊はF-4EJ改に、F-4EJと同様にAIM-7スパローを運用できる能力をもたせることとし、そのためF-4EJ改向けにはそれを可能にする機能が追加された。また、対地攻撃用のモードも複数備わっているが、F-4EJ改では空対艦ミサイルを搭載兵器に加えることとしたのでそれを支援する対艦攻撃用の機能 も加えられた。こうしたことからF-4EJ改用のレーダーは、AN/APG-66Jと呼ばれることになった。なおもともとのAN/APG-66でスパローの運用能力を加えたものは、AN/APG-66V(2)と呼ばれている。

As you can see it mentions AN/APG-66J is different with AN/APG-66(V)2. They added air-to-air (for AIM-7), air-to-ship capabilities to the early AN/APG-66 and named it the AN/APG-66J.

what does that little bit at the bottom mentioning the V(2) translate to. I cant read and the TL is really goofed

• Confused 2
medal

On 12/09/2021 at 21:28, ShiroooYuki said:

what does that little bit at the bottom mentioning the V(2) translate to. I cant read and the TL is really goofed

"The early AN / APG-66 did not have Sparrow's operational support capabilities, as the F-16 was planned to gradually increase both air-to-air and air-to-ground combat capabilities. The Japan Air Self-Defense Force has decided to give the F-4EJ Kai the ability to operate the AIM-7 Sparrow in the same way as the F-4EJ, and therefore added a function to enable it for the F-4EJ Kai. In addition, although there are multiple modes for ground attack, the F-4EJ Kai decided to add air-to-ship missiles to the onboard weapons, so an anti-ship attack function was added to support it. For these reasons, the F-4EJ modified radar was called AN / APG-66J. The original AN / APG-66 with Sparrow's operational capability is called AN / APG-66V (2) "

thats what google translate told me 

medal medal medal medal

On 20/09/2021 at 20:39, Angry_Bees said:
Reveal hidden contents

yo this radar is kinda crazy, idk if its just because its over the water, but i was able to lock the MiG without using the PD mode from 8km and even guide a missile onto them.

Yeah, it's pretty awesome. The F-4EJ Kai carries the F-16s radar (AN/APG-66).

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

2 hours ago, SturmWerwolf said:

Yeah, it's pretty awesome. The F-4EJ Kai carries the F-16s radar (AN/APG-66).

Yet this radar didnt modelled accurately with Viggen's radar as well.

Both radar should be X band radar instead of  I band radar but somehow they forgot to model them like that.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal

1 hour ago, Panther2995 said:

Both radar should be X band radar instead of  I band radar but somehow they forgot to model them like that.

How would that translate into the gameplay? 

Edited by warhead_beast
medal medal medal medal

17 minutes ago, warhead_beast said:

How would that translate into the gameplay? 

Better targets detection,better tracking,less ground clutter ect.

Basically it does everything  better then current radars in this game, thats why current jet fighters using X band radars generally.

Edited by Panther2995
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
medal medal medal

I've noticed that it's much harder to notch the Kai's, FG(R)'s, and Viggen's PD radar recently which is a much welcome change but when did they make that change?

medal

• Technical Moderator
On 9/23/2021 at 12:32 AM, Panther2995 said:

It's just the difference between IEEE radar bands and EU, NATO, US ECM frequency designations.

X band of IEEE radar bands is designated as I/J band in EU, NATO, US ECM frequency designation

On 09/09/2021 at 09:12, TuitionSuxs said:

I just got the F4EJ Kai and its cool and all but why would they name the Aim 7E2 Dog Fight missiles? feel like they are normal 7E's. Dont think I would personally put the DF tag on them cuz of its 1km travel time.

the word "Dogfight" in the name is to denote that they represent the performance of the AIM-7E-2 when it is in Dogfight mode 

medal medal medal medal medal

• Technical Moderator

New tweet about F-4EJ Kai by DMM 

It is a video of the interview scenery. English subtitles are also available for foreign players! It contains interview to Self-Defense Official of Air Development and Test Wing, scenes of sound recording, 360° recording of first prototype of F-4EJ Kai (#431), and review of F-4EJ Kai in War Thunder by test pilot of JASDF.

Original tweet with link to DMM's page

Spoiler

Youtube version:
Spoiler

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

in case someone hasent seen the dev stream, The F4EJ Kai is getting JDAM this patch

medal medal

• Technical Moderator

I doubt ability to operate JDAM on F-4EJ Kai... Do anybody know about it well?

As far as I know, F-4 could use only Type 91 (GCS-1) IR homing system for bombs.

15 minutes ago, aizenns said:

I doubt ability to operate JDAM on F-4EJ Kai... Do anybody know about it well?

As far as I know, F-4 could use only Type 91 (GCS-1) IR homing system for bombs.

I'm no expert and an answer from someone else would be better then mine but i know there is a picture somewhere in this post showing a F4EJ Kai carrying JDAMs.

If it has the capabillity to use them that i can't answer since i don't know.

medal medal

• Technical Moderator
37 minutes ago, ShiraHiko said:

I'm no expert and an answer from someone else would be better then mine but i know there is a picture somewhere in this post showing a F4EJ Kai carrying JDAMs.

If it has the capabillity to use them that i can't answer since i don't know.

Yes, at least there is a photo of JDAM on the F-4EJ #37-8318.

(Gifu air base ceremony, 2018)

http://kampfgebiet.server-shared.com/index_militar_jsdf-98-05.html

However, it is not F-4EJ Kai. Normal EJ did not had ability of high-precision bombing (no bobbing computer) so I think it was mounted on pylon just for purpose of display.

Edit:

At least, there is a photo of F-4EJ Kai #57-8357 with JDAM at same ceremony, but it seems to be mounted just for display.

(Gifu air base ceremony, 2017)

https://twitter.com/hamazk/status/933690346944393218

I'm not expert but this way to mount it seems a bit strange... Also, they seems same as rack with JDAM on the F-4EJ taken in 2018.

DPUiYPnUMAMdZT6?format=jpg&name=large

DPUiaASUQAEeyn2?format=jpg&name=large

• Technical Moderator
1 hour ago, aizenns said:

Yes, at least there is a photo of JDAM on the F-4EJ #37-8318.

(Gifu air base ceremony, 2018)

http://kampfgebiet.server-shared.com/index_militar_jsdf-98-05.html

However, it is not F-4EJ Kai. Normal EJ did not had ability of high-precision bombing (no bobbing computer) so I think it was mounted on pylon just for purpose of display.

Edit:

At least, there is a photo of F-4EJ Kai #57-8357 with JDAM at same ceremony, but it seems to be mounted just for display.

(Gifu air base ceremony, 2017)

https://twitter.com/hamazk/status/933690346944393218

I'm not expert but this way to mount it seems a bit strange... Also, they seems same as rack with JDAM on the F-4EJ taken in 2018.

It is impossible to use, but I remember that it was temporarily installed for exhibition.

Edited by _David_Bowie_
  • Thanks 1

• Technical Moderator

@aizenns

I found that JDAM is not available for TER-9 Triple Racks. 

"JDAMs and other similar weapons like the JSOW and WCMD require a MIL-STD-1760 data and power connection between the jet and the weapon. This allows the weapon to power up and perform its alignment, then transfers the target location and attack parameters to the weapon before release. Any station that supports JDAMs has this wiring at the pylon, but it also needs to run through the rack to connect to the bomb. The base model TER-9 can not make this connection between the pylon and the bomb."

so, JASDF do not use TER-9 capable of data link, Therefore, it is clear that the JDAM in that photo was installed for exhibition.

Edited by _David_Bowie_

• Technical Moderator
3 minutes ago, Wiggly_Armed_Man said:

Iirc @Miki_Hoshii was the one who said that some F-4EJs were modified to carry JDAMs..

He seems to have misunderstood. All sources for the F-4EJ Kai saying JDAM is available are based on Western media.

2 minutes ago, _David_Bowie_ said:

He seems to have misunderstood. All sources for the F-4EJ Kai saying JDAM is available are based on Western media.

Yah, I guessed it was something like that. I was never really convinced that they could use JDAMs but I had no information to back up my counterclaim against the pictures.

medal medal medal medal

• Suggestion Moderator
2 minutes ago, _David_Bowie_ said:

6 minutes ago, Wiggly_Armed_Man said:

Iirc @Miki_Hoshii was the one who said that some F-4EJs were modified to carry JDAMs..

Just to clear things up, i've never made such statements. The only things I have said in regards to guided bombs on the EJ or EJ Kai are the GCS-1 which is all self-contained. You're thinking of a statement @AnimeThighs made in August.

• Technical Moderator
3 minutes ago, Miki_Hoshii said:

Just to clear things up, i've never made such statements. The only things I have said in regards to guided bombs on the EJ or EJ Kai are the GCS-1 which is all self-contained. You're thinking of a statement @AnimeThighs made in August.

Sorry, I misunderstood.

Anyway, I think JDAM should be removed as JDAM is not available on F-4EJ Kai

Edited by _David_Bowie_

11 minutes ago, Miki_Hoshii said:

Ah, sorry Miki. Didn't mean to mix you up with him. :(

medal medal medal medal

Based on how the ingame JDAM for the EJ kai works, it looks like you designate a target (not sure how you would be able to do this in ground RB or sim with no enemy markers), then drop the bomb in the general vicinity of the target and it will autonomously track and adjust towards the designated target. (it currently will not track moving targets like ships, as tested in test flight mode)

Isn't this how the GCS kit tracks in principle?

Edited by KILL001
medal medal medal medal medal

4 minutes ago, KILL001 said:

Based on how the ingame JDAM for the EJ kai works, it looks like you designate a target (not sure how you would be able to do this in ground RB or sim with no enemy markers), then drop the bomb in the general vicinity of the target and it will autonomously track and adjust towards the designated target. (it currently will not track moving targets like ships, as tested in test flight mode)

Isn't this how the GCS kit tracks in principle?

Kind of? It's honestly a bit vague on how the locking works, but it does just automatically track anything with a heat signature within its FoV which is partially the reason it's only used for anti-ship purposes.

medal medal medal medal